What's new

Motherboard and RAM

jwknecht

Alibre Super User
Motherboard and RAM

OK, a very bad thing just happened to my main system today. My desktop has a ASUS P4T533-C Motherboard with a P4 (2.54). I could not boot the system after a freeze. And in the two years I have had this system with the XP Pro, it has never froze. The first freeze happened a couple of days ago, and when I restarted everything was fine. Not today. Checked a few things, gave up and took it down the road for a 20 dollar diagnostic. The word is the my motherboard is NG.

So, I will be shopping for a new motherboard that will work with the Pentium 4 2.54 processor. But, I will need to abandon my RAMBUS RAM. So, if anyone is using RAMBUS let me know. As soon as I get my system back tomorrow, I will post the specs of the RAM. I will be selling it. Also, I would like any recommendations for a new motherboard / RAM.

My backup is a Notebook with AMD64 + ATI Radeon (it works great... thank goodness).

This experience reminded me that I am not backing up my files enough. If I lost my hard drive, there are files I will not get back.

Regards,

jemmej

Well, ASUS is the premier motherboard manufacturer for Intel systems....so that is fine. Any of your top tier mfg of memory (Crucial, Corsair, Kingston) should be just fine too. Are you looking for something more specific? Often its hard to make any real recommendations without a price target as well.

Jim

jwknecht

Alibre Super User

I will know more this afternoon. I want to make sure that it really is the motherboard (and not the processor, etc.) that went bad. If so, I would like to replace the motherboard to match the processor and get away from the RAMBUS.

jemmej

Fair enough. I'll see what I can dig up for a P4 w/ a 533Mhz FSB from ASUS. As well as some memory recommendations too.

Jim

mrgadget

I'm using an Asus p4c800e with 2 gigs of crucial PC3200 ram. My processor is 800fsb but I think the board supports your chip as well. This setup is rock solid and pretty quick. (If I could only get out of video card hell :)) I picked Crucial ram because they are the actual manufacturer of the ram chips that all of the other companies use. Crucial is not overclocked like some of the high performance sticks but it is very stable. If you choose high performance, Corsair has a great reputation.

jwknecht

Alibre Super User

Got the news back from the local shop that is definetely the motherboard that is bad. That is the bad news.

The good news (for those that care) is that the company that I bought the PC from is standing by their product with a 3 year warrenty. They are going to replace the motherboard, ram and processor (since that motherboard and RAMBUS are no longer manufactured). I can recommend ABS PC out of CA. My second system from them.

http://www.abspc.com

Looks like I won't be selling the RAMBUS after all since I have to send it back with the board and processor. I wonder what I will get in replacement?

jemmej

Hmm....sounds like a good deal, especially if you get a MB that supports an 800Mhz FSB. (Though RAMBUS was faster memory, just very pricey).

Jim

jwknecht

Alibre Super User

Going to get my replacement motherboard/processor/RAM next week. I have a question for those with experience changing motherboards and processors on existing systems.

Of course, I want to keep my existing hard drive intact so my question is: What is the best way to bring the system back up after the physical installation of the motherboard and processor? I have been told that it is as simple as installing the new motherboard drivers, and I have been advised by someone else that I should first do a clean install on another hard drive and then transfer over my files from my existing hard drive. I would prefer to go with the simplest option to see if it works. Any pointers would greatly be appreciated.

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User

I'm no expert, especially with upgrading an XP system, but I'd be inclined to just swap the motherboard and attempt to boot it up. You might need to let it install new drivers if the motherboard needs them. If that's successful, I'd back up all of my data files, assuming that you haven't been able to that since your original crash. Alternately you could try booting to Safe Mode and back up from there.

Once the backup is completed, visit the Windows Update site and install any new drivers that it recommends. I tend to be anal on that and install drivers one at a time, rebooting between installs so I can check to see if anything has gotten hosed. Setting restore points before each driver install might also be a good idea.

The new motherboard might come with it's own driver disk and the manufacturer might also have updated drivers on their web site. I might install those before or after the Windows update depending on what the driver READMEs suggest.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge will offer better advice.

Mike

macinc

Hi John,
I have replaced the m-board in a couple of my computers, although my last upgrade was from a pentium 300 mgz to an AMD Duron 800 which started doing strange things. When I was looking for info on what was going on, the majority of experienced advice said that a clean OS install with fresh installs of all applications was imperative to any motherboard swap. After a format and fresh install all was well again.
The best way to do this is with a clean, formatted HD for the OS. Then you can add your existing HD as "D" and pull your files off.
Another way (more risky) would be to boot up with your existing OS, pull off your docs, drawings, etc., to a cd or other backup, then do a complete HD format, reinstall the OS and all your apps, and then restore your backed up files. IMO, it would be better to hook up your HD to another computer to back up your docs and drawings. You could get one of those HD cases ($30-$40 i think) that will allow you to plug your drive to a USB port on a friends computer, and then burn your files to a cd (or cds). Although it is tempting to avoid reinstalling the OS and apps when the computer boots up and appears to run ok, it is almost certain that the system will get buggy. One place I found a wealth of info and advice was -- http://www.ocforums.com -- Hope this helps.

Matt

mkent

Hello John,
I would advise you to take your computer to a shop that has a Microsoft certified technician and have them do the switch. They have software and "tricks" that will allow them to make sure everything is compatable. I have built several computers and they all had bugs I couldn't figure out and I tried hard. I now buy "Dell" and am happy. I know others will dissagree and there are many "experts" out there. Ask for a guarantee! Mick

jwknecht

Alibre Super User

Thanks for all the replies. I am back up and running with, so far, no problems. As is in my nature, I took the lazy route (with more risk) and used my XP Recovery CD to install a repair. This took me way back in my level of XP Pro and it took quite awhile to get all my updates (including SP2).

First note: Did have to get another Acitivation Key from Windows for my XP Pro. At first it did not take, and then I realized I had to enter my correct Product Key (it really was not intuitive).

Second note: I did have to request a new Key from Alibre also. The hardware change was enough that the old key would not work.