What's new

Moving an object a precise distance

jl33

Is there a way to move an object a precise distance? For example, so I have sketched a circle on a square object which I intend to use the extrude cut option to make a screw hole in the square. However, I want the screw hole to be be exactly 4mm from the bottom and side edges (6mm if you measure from the center of the circle).

How do I do this? In the attached image, you can see that dragging the circle results in a placement that is off by 0.1mm due to the snap to grid feature (and I'm not sure how exact I could get even if I were able to figure out how to turn that off). In other software I've used such as Fusion 360 to name one example, I can move a sketch or object a precise distance; however, I can't seem to find any options for that here. circle_sketch.jpg

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
How do I do this? In the attached image, you can see that dragging the circle results in a placement that is off by 0.1mm due to the snap to grid feature (and I'm not sure how exact I could get even if I were able to figure out how to turn that off).

First - turn OFF grid snapping.
Second - Use a dimensions to place the sketch circle.
Third - perform the Extrude Cut.

(In my opinion using grid is a throw-back to paper drafting. Use dimensions and constraints for sketch geometry placement.)

jl33

First - turn OFF grid snapping.
Second - Use a dimensions to place the sketch circle.
Third - perform the Extrude Cut.

(In my opinion using grid is a throw-back to paper drafting. Use dimensions and constraints for sketch geometry placement.)

How do I perform 2? I couldn't find any options for that.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
While in Sketch mode use the Dimension tool to apply dimensions.
atom ribbon.png

BTW, did you happen to go thru the Atom 3D Exercise Manual? It covers a lot of basics, except I don't agree with the use of grids, it treats the user like a child with a paint-by-numbers painting kit. It should have the grid turned off and teach the use of dimensions and constraints for modeling accuracy.

jl33

View attachment 32792

BTW, did you happen to go thru the Atom 3D Exercise Manual? It covers a lot of basics, except I don't agree with the use of grids, it treats the user like a child with a paint-by-numbers painting kit. It should have the grid turned off and teach the use of dimensions and constraints for modeling accuracy.

Thank you! As for the exercise manual, are you referring to this tutorial - https://www.alibre.com/AlibreDownloads/Alibre_Atom3D_Exercise_Manual.pdf? This is what Alibre sent me with my trial email link. If that is what you are referring to, I made it through page 21, but stopped briefly to try to model a part for my 3d printer.

jl33

View attachment 32792

I must be missing something. That dimensions button doesn't allow me to specify dimensions for my sketch. It's just putting the dimensions of the existing sketch (whatever I have highlighted when I click the dimensions button) onto the working model.

jl33

I must be missing something. That dimensions button doesn't allow me to specify dimensions for my sketch. It's just putting the dimensions of the existing sketch (whatever I have highlighted when I click the dimensions button) onto the working model.

Disregard. I was missing something. I was doing it wrong. I needed to click the edge of the object I wanted first instead of the circle for some reason.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Thank you! As for the exercise manual, are you referring to this tutorial - https://www.alibre.com/AlibreDownloads/Alibre_Atom3D_Exercise_Manual.pdf? This is what Alibre sent me with my trial email link. If that is what you are referring to, I made it through page 21, but stopped briefly to try to model a part for my 3d printer.
Yes, that's the one. I see that the exercise manual doesn't teach anything about using/placing dimensions until you get to creating the Base. On page 107 it finally has you turning off the Display Grid and Snap to Grid options. On page 109 is the use of the Dimension tool mentioned. That, in my opinion, should be the default for the entire manual. But I suppose there is some logic to the reason it's not.

With all the talk on the forum about using fully constrained sketches it is odd that almost all the parts created in the Design Manual have under defined sketches. :confused:

The order of selection should not matter. Before you select the Dimension icon click in an empty part of the work space to de-select everything. If you select the circle first the dimension tool will show a diameter dimension until you select an edge or other sketch geometry to dimension to.

jl33

The order of selection should not matter. Before you select the Dimension icon click in an empty part of the work space to de-select everything. If you select the circle first the dimension tool will show a diameter dimension until you select an edge or other sketch geometry to dimension to.

You're somewhat right on that. I can select the circle first (I didn't originally because when you do, without clicking anything else, it appears that it will only give you the diameter of the circle). But when I do, I only seem to be able to use dimension constraints against the center of the circle versus clicking the edge first and then the circle which allows me to choose between the center of the circle, the outer edge of the circle, or the inner edge of the circle.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
You're somewhat right on that. I can select the circle first (I didn't originally because when you do, without clicking anything else, it appears that it will only give you the diameter of the circle). But when I do, I only seem to be able to use dimension constraints against the center of the circle versus clicking the edge first and then the circle which allows me to choose between the center of the circle, the outer edge of the circle, or the inner edge of the circle.
Yup, read the last sentence of my post. I should have been more clear. The point I wanted to make was that IF you selected the edge first you would not be prompted to choose the other hole dimension options. It's not a big deal unless you want or need to see the hole dimension options dialog. And in your case in your original post you stated that you wanted the hole 4 mm from the edge so then you would need one of the other dimension options.

jl33

And in your case in your original post you stated that you wanted the hole 4 mm from the edge so then you would need one of the other dimension options.

Thanks for your help! I'm learning a lot and it seems like Alibre Atom3D might be my solution to Fusion 360's lack of perpetual licenses and the clunkiness of the open sourced FreeCAD.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
... it seems like Alibre Atom3D might be my solution...

People have been doing some pretty cool stuff with Atom. If you vote in the design contest you will see some pretty amazing work by the Atom users (its the second half of the voting process).

And check out the User Gallery too!!!