What's new

Moving symbols

rwalborn

Moving symbols

I am using Version 9.1. Does anyone know if there is a way to moving a custom symbol after you place it on a 2d drawing ? I have custom drawing templates. If the template is not place in the right position on the drawing, there appears to be no way to move it once it is placed. To correct this, I have to delete the symbol, the re-inset the symbol and fill out all the data again. It jsut one of those little things that drives me crazy.

Gaspar

Alibre Super User

It seems to me that you are inserting the template in the drawing (like in ACad).

Here it works differently and much better. You can insert your template (frame) in a blank drawing and then use that whole drawing as a template for new drawings. It's allways placed and sized correctly 8) You can even insert fields that will ask for a value when the drawing is being created (drawing name, part description, scale, date, etc.).

indesign

Alibre Super User
Re:

Gaspar said:
It seems to me that you are inserting the template in the drawing (like in ACad).

Here it works differently and much better. You can insert your template (frame) in a blank drawing and then use that whole drawing as a template for new drawings. It's allways placed and sized correctly 8) You can even insert fields that will ask for a value when the drawing is being created (drawing name, part description, scale, date, etc.).

The manual explains this in detail and it makes Alibre so nice to make a 2D drawing from a solid. I am so close to not using ACad ever again.

rwalborn

moving symbols

I already have fields in the template , that allows me to fill in title, scale etc. The problem with exploding hte symbol , then moving it is that exploding a drawing template causes too many segemetns and it beccomes impossible to select them all and move them in a group. It is unfortunately easier to jsut delete the whole emplate and start over.

Gaspar

Alibre Super User

I see. But...

You are inserting the template in your drawing or inserting your drawing in the template?

I mean, when you just create a new drawing,

A) Do you select a blank sheet in the drawing creation window, insert your views of a part and then insert your symbol (frame template).

B) Do you select an already created template in the drawing creation window. You then get a second window asking for the value of the variable fields (scale, date, etc) and then select the views for the part you want to draw.

Option A is the way it happened in Autocad. You may then have the need to move the frame.

Option B is the Alibre way and I can't imagine why the template would have to be moved.

Even more... If you find that your template is too small or big once you have inserted your design, there is a way to change it any time and also to add aditional sheets if the drawing needs more explanation.