What's new

Multiple select in drawing for layer asignment

otrotabi

If I want to assign multiple objects in a drawing to a layer, I need to select them one by one, I mean, I pick an object, and then press the Shift Key and select every other object I need to change. Or alternatively do it one by one, which is even more tedious. Selecting a region does not seem to work inside a drawing for that use, or maybe it does and I do not see how it works.

Am I missing something ?

idslk

Alibre Super User
Hello otrotabi,

drag the mouse while holding the CTRL-Key:

upload_2020-8-28_19-26-10.png

Result: Selected "Objects"

upload_2020-8-28_19-26-37.png

Regards
Stefan

otrotabi

Thank you, I tried Shift Key but not Control Key, so that works.

However I still get a problem. My process is: select some objects, assign them to a layer and then hide that layer, which should allow me to keep selecting other objects. If the newly selected region contains objects belonging to the previously hidden layer (in fact I do not see them while using the mouse) they "pop up" as selected.

For example, if you move the dashed lines in your drawing to a different layer and hide it, you are supposed to be able to select only the continuous lines.

Any workarounds ?

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Hi otrotabi,

Export the 2D Drawing as DXF or DWG.
Close the 2D Drawing.
Import your DXF or DWG, now the views no longer contain projected edges, but independent, circle, line...segments.

otrotabi

Thanks for the tip. But that is exactly what I am trying to avoid, the need to do it over and over again if the part changes. I added a hole to the part, refreshed the drawing, and layers of unchanged all the unchanged objects remained the same.

I need to assign layers to different objects to export it to a CAM software, ultimately to cut a sheet metal part with a plasma cutter.

I will file a ticket to support, I think there is a bug which needs to be fixed. Hidden layers should not be selected, that´s the purpose of layers basically.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
By objects, do you mean 'parts' or do you mean lines, arcs, etc.?

If parts - expand view in Drawing Explorer, then right click on relevant part and 'Set layer'.

otrotabi

Yes, I mean lines, circles, etc.

The process for our plasma cutter demands that you create a .dxf file with different layers. Then you open the CAM software and associate each layer with a different "style" of cutting, meaning the plasma might start cutting from the "inside" (for holes) of from the "outside" (for the sheet metal boundaries). You usually cut inner holes first and then you cut the outside or the sheet metal might move otherwise.

What we have done in the past is to do the "layer assignment" with a different software. I used to use Draftsight but now Drafsight is no longer free and I am using LibreCad. However if I change something in the part or add another cut, then I need to start from scratch.

I was not aware that you could assign a part to a layer, this might save a lot of time. If I assign the whole part to the "exterior" layer, then I only need to change the holes layer. I´ve created a small video for anyone who is interested, You will notice how all hidden lines are selected if you use "Ctrl" + mouse selection.

Thanks for your help.