What's new

Need advice on creating planetary gear

Kunstmaan

Alibre Super User
Hi Oldbelt,

Yesterday I created this using the sungear 24T wiht a collar.
Otherwise I dont know how to fasten de sungear to the axlePlanetary_Gear_1_24 (9).jpg

Attachments

• Planetary_Gear_1_24 (9).AD_PKG
    5.5 MB · Views: 2

Oldbelt

Alibre Super User
Hi Kunstmaan.
If you go for the shown design I think it should be in one piece. Collar and Sun1 in same 3D print.
The missing axel to hold the planet carrier 1 , most be modelled as a part of the Sun1 gear and the motor axel must be covered totally.
The motor have no support !! What happens when you tighten the nuts??
An alternative method is to bore a hole through the Sun 1 and the motor axel for a 2mm slotted spring pin.

I will advice you to by gear wheels at the former mentioned company, I have tried to 3D print the Sun1 wheel, with a bad result,
it can maybe be made if you can made layer at 0.05 mm.

Kunstmaan

Alibre Super User
I will advice you to by gear wheels at the former mentioned company, I have tried to 3D print the Sun1 wheel, with a bad result,
A gear as Sun1 (G0.5-24) is not avilable wiht a 8mm bore.
I havent found pinions on there site, but maybe I not been in the correct place on there site

Oldbelt

Alibre Super User
GO.5-24 Have a 5mm bore it has to be enlarged to 8mm, doesn't you have any workshop facilities??
If not this is a ambitious project to carry through.
The planetary wheels haven't either the need bore for the Ball bearings,

Oldbelt

Alibre Super User
Kunstmaan
I have made the SUN1 and the collar to one part, corrected the output shield, to make space for the ball bearing to the Planet carrier 1
at the end of the motor axel.
The changed parts is marked with Oldbelt.

Attachments

• Planetary_Gear_1_24-Oldbelt (9).AD_PKG
    5 MB · Views: 1

Oldbelt

Alibre Super User
Planet Carrier 1 and sun 2 made to one part and some mismatch is corrected.

Attachments

• Planetary_Gear_1_24 -ver 3(9).AD_PKG
    5 MB · Views: 5

Kunstmaan

Alibre Super User
GO.5-24 Have a 5mm bore it has to be enlarged to 8mm, doesn't you have any workshop facilities??
If not this is a ambitious project to carry through.
The planetary wheels haven't either the need bore for the Ball bearings,
OK your right thats a workshop problem.
My husband tried to 3D print the gears what resulted in a failure as said before
So what steps must I make to enlage all the gears from mod.5 to mod.8 just to create a working 3D model. For that project I have a 36GP BLDC3650 motor

GIOV

Alibre Super User
My husband tried to 3D print the gears what resulted in a failure as said before
Hi Kunstmaan,
Before take so much time of Oldbelt helps, please check you 3D Printer abilities and make an example of what is the gear tooth most little that the machine are able to do so from this base make an option for the all new planetary gear.

dwc

Alibre Super User
Just a data point, but I have an FDM 3D-printer and using a 0.4mm nozzle, about the smallest you can use to get a reasonable printing time, the smallest usable module I can get is 0.8.
My 3D-printed clocks all use module 0.8.

Kunstmaan

Alibre Super User
Hi Kunstmaan,
Before take so much time of Oldbelt helps, please check you 3D Printer abilities and make an example of what is the gear tooth most little that the machine are able to do so from this base make an option for the all new planetary gear.
Hi GIOV,
Youre correct, but witch commercial party could I use??
And what would be the best material to use

GIOV

Alibre Super User
Hi GIOV,
Youre correct, but witch commercial party could I use??
And what would be the best material to use
Hi Kunstmann

1.-I think you need a good mechanical properties for the durability of you planetary gear that will run so fast. I recommend to you go to one specialized place for print you assemble with Poly Ether Etherketone (Peek). I know about a Funmat 3D printer or Cincinnati SAAM HT High-Temp Automated 3D Printer, able to do this.

2.-For do the correction of the planetary designed by Oldbelt, You need apply the following Feature in AD: Scale or Mirror (In this case Scale) and make the scale of your assemble in base of the better Gear Tooth size that the machine are able to achieve. The most important is keeping the relation between all planetary gear components in base the Sun1 to achieve the same RPM that you need.

Kunstmaan

Alibre Super User
2.-For do the correction of the planetary designed by Oldbelt, You need apply the following Feature in AD: Scale or Mirror (In this case Scale) and make the scale of your assemble in base of the better Gear Tooth size that the machine are able to achieve. The most important is keeping the relation between all planetary gear components in base the Sun1 to achieve the same RPM that you need.
This wont work. It does when you want to scale the comp[leet design(scale all parts by times2) but precission is lost.

GIOV

Alibre Super User
mmmm.really?
1654579801860.png
1654579859018.png
So
1654579913260.png
2.6144*5=13.072 OK!
This wont work. It does when you want to scale the comp[leet design(scale all parts by times2) but precision is lost.
For me the precision is not lost. I using an old AD&D 32 Bits.

Last edited:

albie0803

Alibre Super User
I have still been thinking about this whole planetary design question and realised there is another option for a gearset that we hadn't tried. Fraction Ratios.
I was able come up with the following:

Here is Oldbelt's gearbox fitted with 1.25M 25°PA gears in the following configurations

Gearset 1 (Sun, planet, ring): 12-15-42 gives a ratio of 3.5 plus the 1 for the carrier output = 4.5:1
Gearset 2 12-16-44 gives a ratio of 3.2/3 plus the 1 for the carrier output = 4.2/3:1
4.5 x 4.2/3 = 21:1

It could probably also be done with 1M 18-63 and 18-66 sets and the appropriate planetary gears but the housing would have to be 10mm larger in diameter.
1654594941609.png1654595032852.png
I was asked, "Are these gears too big for the desired motor to drive?" I have no idea. Does anyone know how to calculate this? (we overhaul gearboxes, not design them.)

I notched the output shaft, added gear constraints and a handle and turned it 10.5 times. The output shaft did 1/2 a rotation. I was happy!