What's new

Need advice to solve graphics problem.

R-man

When editing any sketch, if I selected a circle I got huge random blue jagged shapes convering the screen. Now, with a new graphics card, I'm getting a smaller version of the same problem!! I took a photo and will try to upload. PXL_20220309_232529150.jpg

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
What are your view settings in System Options?
1646876416925.png

And on the View ribbon?
1646876473725.png

Does making any changes on either of them make a difference?

And BTW, if you're running Windows 10 there is a snipping tool that you can use to capture screen shots and Paste them into your posts. It can be activated by the hotkey Windows Key + Shift + S. It should present a menu that you can select the capture type, Rectangular, Freeform, Window Snap and Full screen. Your capture is copied to the clipboard and you can then Paste (Ctrl+V) right into your post.

R-man

Thanks for the reply. Tomorrow I'll try those various settings and see if it makes any difference. The snipping tool is of no use because the problem only persists while the mouse pointer on the circle. Perhaps "print screen" key might be an option, but I've never used it. However the photo shows the problem.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
The snipping tool is of no use because the problem only persists while the mouse pointer on the circle.
You can set a delay in snipping tool, set it to say 3 seconds, then hit capture, go hover over the circle and the snip tool will freeze your screen after 3 seconds. then just grab the the area where your issue is, CTRL-C ... forum post CTRL-V. You can use this feature to capture popups, dropdown menus, general glitches, etc

R-man

Thanks to all responders. I learned a lot, but alas, updating the drivers did not make a noticable difference.

I still have a few leads to follow up on though. I'll update if I have any solution.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
What version of Alibre are you using? I seem to recall some issues like you're experiencing in older versions of Alibre but haven't had or seen them in the latest version.
Maybe if you sent your computer and video specs to Alibre Support they could help find a resolution to the issue.

R-man

I have followed all posted advice ( could not get delayed snip tool to show cursor, nor print screen so you gotta imagine it ) and this the result if I 'touch' any circle or ellipse while editing. I'm using V24 of Alibre, new Radeon HD 5450 (old card was worse), and windows 10.

Screenshot (4).png

R-man

Finally, under system options I selected "use legacy display" and after a restart the problem has gone away! Does this mean that I'm by-passing the graphics card? If anyone know what "use legacy display" actually does, please explain it to me. Thanks.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Finally, under system options I selected "use legacy display" and after a restart the problem has gone away!
That's odd, the usual graphics solution is to uncheck Use legacy display. (see the screen shot I posted in reply #2).
Maybe @DavidJ can shed some light on this.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
From what I can see on-line the HD5450 won't be up to the job for the HOOPS graphics system. Please review the System Requirements for Alibre
particularly the 'more on video cards' section.
The HD5450 was launched in 2010 and only has 0.5GB of dedicated VRAM.

The Legacy Display option in Alibre uses much earlier technology. It is limited to DirectX 9 and doesn't support some of the recent additions to the software. Note also that Legacy Display will be retired, you can't assume it will still be in future versions.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
The HD5450 was launched in 2010 and only has 0.5GB of dedicated VRAM.
They were still selling it recently with an upgrade 1GB VRAM! Latest cards support DX11, but the lack of VRAM is still going to be a really big issue with something that utilises the GPU like AD in HOOPS mode.