What's new

Need Help With A Drawing

RocketNut

Alibre Super User
Part 1
I was wonder if someone can help with a drawing of a part. The first attached screen shows the part diametric. When tried to make a drawing of said part, the drawing is a real mess (as shown in the attached screenshot). I do not know how to spec out the hexagon opening. Also, I do not know how to assign the round overs (the blue text).

View attachment 29448

Dart-Cuff_Mount DRW Top Scr Shot.jpg Dart-Cuff_Mount TopView.jpg

Attachments

• Dart-Cuff_Mount.AD_PRT
    1.2 MB · Views: 12

RocketNut

Alibre Super User
Part 2

I also need help with set screw depth spec. How do I define the depth of the holes? Again how do I define the round edges (fillets) with the spec as define in the blue text?

Dart-Cuff_Mount DRW Screw Holes Scr Shot.jpg

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
What format is the original drawing in? Is it possible to measure across flats of the hexagons ? (those measurements won't be altered by the fillets).

RocketNut

Alibre Super User
What format is the original drawing in? Is it possible to measure across flats of the hexagons? (those measurements won't be altered by the fillets).

The format is Alibre part, which I included in part 1 of this topic.

I do not understand the second question!!!

JST

Alibre Super User
You have ALL the information needed, I think.

The hexagon is constructed of equilateral triangles. therefore the distance from center of each line is equal to the length, or 44.889mm.

First construct the given hex, that is 44.889 on a side.

Place a circle smaller than 12.25 mm according to the fillet at each vertex. Fillet is 6.1mm, so inside radius is 6.15mm, I believe.

Place lines tangent to those smaller circles on the outside, and you have the inside of the fillet, which should be the inside of the hex. Dimension is 77.75 and a few odd millionths from flat to flat

Attachments

• Hex form.AD_PRT
    282 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

idslk

Alibre Super User
Hello @RocketNut ,

if the things in your sketch are not intended, it may will be a solution to constraint sketches fully...
The 2.5 radii in you sketch could also be applied as fillets in 3D, this is more stable...
The hole in the inside could be made with a circle on the midplane and an extrude cut to both sides instead of your rectangle revolve cut...
But i think that's not what you were asking about...upload_2020-1-18_0-34-29.png
Creating drawings which are meaningfull and fullfilling the standards are not easy at all...
Have you thought about using section views? Might be a sentence like "All not dimensioned radii in this view should be 2.5mm" can be helpful...
There is a standard about hex heads and how they should be dimesioned...
The drawing isn't a real problem, it's only daily work...;)

Regards
Stefan

Last edited:

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Part 1
I was wonder if someone can help with a drawing of a part. The first attached screen shows the part diametric. When tried to make a drawing of said part, the drawing is a real mess (as shown in the attached screenshot). I do not know how to spec out the hexagon opening. Also, I do not know how to assign the round overs (the blue text).

View attachment 29448

View attachment 29447 View attachment 29445

When I dimensioned your part on a drawing I found that the sides are not parallel.
Hex Not Parallel.png

And, as shown in the image of your part sketch, it is not fully defined. And, as Stefan illustrated, it may not be "centered" across the planes.
I might even suggest that it might be too complex. Try breaking out the fillets and rounds as Features instead of incorporating them in the sketch. By doing that I think you'll have better control of the sketch as it won't have so many constraints to solve.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
The format is Alibre part, which I included in part 1 of this topic.

I do not understand the second question!!!

Sorry - I thought that you were perhaps trying to duplicate an existing design. My mis-understanding!

Unless the part is to be 3D printed it will be challenging to manufacture.

I agree with HaroldL - you have a lot in one sketch. Split it across several simpler sketches/features - that way you won't disrupt the hexagon by trying to stitch in additional figures, instead the 'bump' can be added as a rectangle extrusion, then chamfer the corners, then add fillets - all in 3D.

Trying to include corner fillets in the 2d sketch is really asking for trouble, and is also far more work than using the 3d fillet tool.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
I modelled this using rather more features & simpler sketches. You'll see I had to add a small 'in-fill' piece to make things 'line up'.

Dimensioning from centre lines etc. as I did in my sketches is also valid in your final 2D drawing and should avoid some of the 'funny numbers'.

I did have to make slight assumptions in a couple of cases, so you'll have to decide whether I've matched your intent or not - hopefully you'll agree that this model is much easier to edit if you do need to adjust a dimension.

When you do make 2D drawing, use sections, centre lines, views with hidden lines visible ; all will help to convey intent.

Attachments

• Dart Cuff (multiple features).AD_PRT
    863.5 KB · Views: 5

DBC

I would use sections and keep it as clean as possible. See attached PDF. This is just a quickie but I think it covers all the basics.

Attachments

• Dart-Cuff_Mount (Drawing).pdf
    89.4 KB · Views: 23

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I was going to post a modeling example, but it turns out that it would be very similar to the one DavidJ posted. The idea is to not put a lot of detail into sketches that can be added as features.