What's new

Newbie issue

mcham

Hi, I am trying to learn alibre atom using the attached drawing (copyright titans of cnc). I take the following steps: 1. Create cylinder .15" thick 2. sketch and extrude tri-lobe .1" 3. Cut Extrude 4 holes 4. attempt to chamfer tri-lobe @45 degrees for .1" I can only do the chamfer at .083". Am I doing it wrong? Is it a bug in alibre atom? I am trying to make a purchase decision.

Attachments

• TITAN-11M.PDF
    354.1 KB · Views: 18

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
You're not wrong, I just tried this part in Alibre Expert and got the same result.
I suggest that you submit a Support ticket (from the Alibre Home page) and upload your part and PDF so it can be looked at for a possible limitation in the chamfer tool.

This is the preview at .100 and RTP turned off:
1686258933143.png

This is the status message I get on the feature:
1686258854614.png

Last edited:

Ken226

Alibre Super User
Thanks for your help! I have submitted a ticket.

Interesting. When I set the chamfer to .15", it seems to give the desired results, with the correct dimensions.

1686265207006.png

1686265378673.png

Attachments

• Chamfer Thing.AD_PRT
    761.5 KB · Views: 4

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
If you look carefully at the PDF, a chamfer on the edges suggested can't possibly leave the outside face cylindrical.

Cylindrical face.jpg

A sweep cut gives the shaping to match the drawing.

Attachments

• Chamfer-no bug.AD_PRT
    341.5 KB · Views: 8

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
OR - it can be done with an ordinary chamfer - just change the workflow a bit.

Attachments

• Chamfer-no bug alternate.AD_PRT
    373.5 KB · Views: 5

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Other workflows aside, the Chamfer almost gets there but doesn't go to the edges, is that a limitation of the ACIS kernel?

1686327596039.png

Also found another workflow using a Sweep Boss and an Extrude Cut to trim the model back to the profile.

1686327739249.png

I suppressed the original chamfer to add the sweep and trim. Note that this was modeled in AD Expert v26.

Attachments

• TITAN-11M wSweep and Trim.AD_PRT
    341.5 KB · Views: 1

mcham

Thank you all for your insights.
I appreciate that 2 alternate approaches get to the desired outcome. All CAD packages have warts which require workarounds).
The obvious choice, however, did not function properly limited to .083 rather than .100
Two other popular CAD packages do better here, although one was limited to .0999 (good enough, but still a workaround).
It occurs to me that a fillet and a chamfer are simply canned operations that could be coded behind the scenes as sweeps?