What's new

Notebook recommendation (which graphics)

Martinm

I am looking for a lightweight notebook computer for occasional work with Alibre. I don't think I'll work on complex assemblies, maybe single parts or simpler assemblies.
What graphics performance should I look for? I'd like to get a sub 1.5 kg device, which could be 14" full HD (I'd stay clear of high res screens as AD can't handle those). For those, Nvidia MX150 (entry level gaming) seems to be the norm.
Is anyone happy with integrated graphics? Intel HD 630 seems to roughly have 1/3 of the MX150 performance.

- Martin

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
The AMD integrated graphics on my notebook manages OK (it's several years old now).

I've dealt with plenty of cases where people have initially struggled with Intel integrated graphics (Alibre not usable) - updating the driver has usually fixed the problems, even if performance isn't anything special.

If you're not doing anything too taxing, I think you get by.

Dave H

If I remember correctly, there was a thread here a number of years ago that recommended the Nvidia GeForce line of graphics cards. I think that was because AD uses DirectX for graphics. Similar to most games, which the GeForce cards are designed for. I think other 3D modelers use Open GL which is better handled by the Nvidia Quadro cards. I have run AD on machines with both models of cards, and both did well. I am usually doing relatively small assemblies (<150 parts) and individual machined parts.

I could be wrong though. The memory isn't what it used to be. :)

PaulProe

Be leery of the newer 4K type displays. Alibre is not Hi-Resolution friendly. I am running it on a Lenovo X tablet with 4K and have more than my fair share of issues - all related to the high resolution display

Paul

Martinm

Thanks to everyone! So probably not critical, just no high-res display (I'd be careful with this anyway).

- Martin

Martinm

I'm homing in a bit towards the Lenovo Yoga 720 15". Seems to be a very nice convertible except for the outdated Kaby Lake processor (the i7-8550U would have the same performance at 1/3 TDP).
I wrote I'd stay clear of a 4K display... which is probably a good idea for "old school" software like Alibre. On the other hand, if I look at my iPad pro (don't even know what resolution that has) with its razorsharp display, I am a bit reluctant to spend that much money on a laptop with what feels a bit like a yesterday's display. Let's hope that AD at some day can handle high DPI properly (in truth, I am not sure why I have the maintenance contract - they might as well do something for their money).
Paul, you write you had some issues with your 4K tablet - any details?
Any other thoughts?

- Martin

bigseb

Alibre Super User
... which is probably a good idea for "old school" software like Alibre...
Not sure if I'd call Alibre Design old school. To my eyes everything about Alibre Design is fresh and innovative. Real old school software would be stuff like Powershape, Creo (pretending to be modern) or Catia...

Martinm

True, I worked with Catia recently - this feels as modern as a punched card reader. I kind of liked Pro/E, although the UI was quirky (that was quite some time ago, when one could call this UI style still "exotic" - don't know current Creo). But personally I wouldn't call Alibre fresh or innovative, if you compare it for example with the feel of Office 365. Of course this is apples and oranges, anyway we are getting OT. At an objective level one can state that currently AD does not seem to handle high DPI screens well, which would for me be an important property of "modern" software.

- Martin

bigseb

Alibre Super User
But personally I wouldn't call Alibre fresh or innovative, if you compare it for example with the feel of Office 365.
Seriously? Office 365 is fresh and innovative?

Compared to other CAD softwares Alibre is a breeze to work with, it copes easily with high-end design work. its looks are in-line with its main comparison (solidworks) and the Alibre community is buzzing.

Also, many might say that office 365 is to office administration as Autodesk is to engineering.