What's new

Offset Function in Sketch Mode

Imagine I sketch a feature as reference geometry and I fully constrain it. Now, say that geometry represented the shape of something entering the part. In the part I wish to make the cut out shape which it enters just a smidge larger. The obvious tool is the offset command. However, when you offset sketch none of the constraints come over to the offset feature. At that point you must re-constrain all the geometry without moving it...It becomes quite the challenge.

Any work around to this that I'm missing?

Alibre Atom3D
Version: V25 64-bit [Build 25037]

Last edited:

Ken226

Alibre Super User
Imagine I sketch a feature as reference geometry and I fully constrain it. Now, say that geometry represented the shape of something entering the part. In the part I wish to make the cut out shape which it enters just a smidge larger. The obvious tool is the offset command. However, when you offset sketch none of the constraints come over to the offset feature. At that point you must re-constrain all the geometry without moving it...It becomes quite the challenge.

Alibre Atom3D

Not that I'm aware of.

It's an annoyance when you want the offset figures to be constrained.

But, on the occasions where I need the offset figures to be unconstrained, it would be an annoyance if they were.

Now, a checkbox in the offset dialogue allowing the user to "maintain constraints", would be great!

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Does Atom3D have thin wall cut? If so then first do a regular cut using the sketch actual size. Then do a projection (or a copy) of that sketch. Next do a thin wall cut and set the cut "wall" to be your desired offset.

[edit]
Sorry, after searching I found that Atom3D does not have thin wall cuts.
1669264270285.png
[/edit]

Last edited:
In this particular instance the sketch's were a part of a loft feature, so a thin wall cut doesn't seem to be a workaround (even if it Atom3D did have it).

jfleming

Alibre Super User

Alibre Atom3D

I run into this all the time. It is a shame the offset figures must be entirely re-constrained.