What's new

Offset with parameter?

BaseballBatBoy

I'm looking to create an offset in a sketch using a parameter.

1679264209424.png

However, it doesn't detect or accept the parameter when I create the offset.

1679264264180.png

Is there a way to work around this?

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
You will need to apply some dimensions and constraints to the offset sketch. Link dimensions as needed, then you can control the Offset dimensions thru parameters in the EE

1679271584687.png

Last edited:

BaseballBatBoy

Unfortunately no. If there is no f(x) button then parameters cannot be used for that measurement.

The offset function is quite basic and there have been calls for it to be majorly overhauled.
Maybe one day.
I see... What a shame...
Is it really that difficult to implement such a basic feature when so many others have done the same? It's simply a variable after all...

I hope it gets added soon :/

Makes me wonder: Does this program support driven dimensions? F360 didn't support driven dimensions for a long time, so I'm curious to know if this software supports that.

You will need to apply some dimensions and constraints to the offset sketch. Link dimensions as needed, then you can control the Offset dimensions thru parameters in the EE

View attachment 38749

Alright, I will give this a try. Many steps for a basic operation, but it'll have to do.
Thank you!

EDIT: Trying it, I think this model of mine is far too complex to be feasible. There's gotta be some easier way to do this.

Last edited:

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
EDIT: Trying it, I think this model of mine is far too complex to be feasible. There's gotta be some easier way to do this.
Can you post a screen shot of the sketch you are trying to Offset?

Also, which version of Alibre are you using, Expert, Pro, or Atom3D? Thin wall extrude boss/cut is only available in Expert and Pro.

Does this program support driven dimensions?
Yes, thru the Equation Editor you can set up equations to drive dimensions. Take a look in the Help manual on the EE.

jfleming

Alibre Super User
Depending on what you are doing - sometimes doing a thin wall extrude boss/cut can get the same end result and is parametric.

I discovered this recently and it has worked far better than trying to offset a complex geometry. As has been mentioned, the offset tool needs some improvements!!

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
One thing that Thin Wall needs is a Reverse option to flip Side 1 and Side 2. I always have to "experiment" when entering those values to get the wall thickness on the right side of the sketch.

I also noticed that the Gap Type sometimes will not apply the Round to all the corners and doesn't work when the extrude is set to the inside of the sketch, but there is no way to select the size of the round so I leave it to Natural and apply Fillets when and where needed.

GIOV

Alibre Super User
From 2016 or before I am asking for this feature!
Point 4.1.1