What's new

OK, I have another file problem with read only. It's a BOM file

JST

Alibre Super User
Well, just now Alibre decide to LOCK the master BOM file for the project. I already had to rebuild it once..... I REALLY do not want to rebuild it YET AGAIN.

If it is any help to you, I had added some parts to it, and moved them from the bottom of the list to their proper area. I was just in the process of filling in the part info (in the part file, not editing the BOM) to match the BOM category prefixes (PL# for plate steel, for example, where # is the reference number for that part within the category.... Then the drawing gets labeled with the PL19 (in this case) as a find number in the drawings.

In the other thread, there was mention of "unblocking". What are you talking about with regard to "unblocking"? Where are you doing this? Because this file has never been off the "disk" (it's actually solid state)

If you mean with the OS, the file has never been read-only there. This is something that Alibre is doing internally, as far as I can determine. And I cannot blame it on memory leaks now, since resource monitor does not show a deficit now.

I just checked the file properties, and the OS has it as an openly writeable file.

Since this is not a new issue, it already happened once in Alibre, I do not like that it has happened again, making it now twice in three days. This trend is not good.

WillB

We had the same problem and it turned out to be related to our floating license. We would open the locked file on another computer and Alibre would prompt a resave which would then solve the problem.

JST

Alibre Super User
Just one in use here, no other win 10 machines.

This morning, I can open it for editing..... go figure.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Possibly a 'ghost' instance of Alibre left running after a 'crash' - resolved by system re-boot.

WillB

Possibly a 'ghost' instance of Alibre left running after a 'crash' - resolved by system re-boot
Every once in a while this is the problem, but more often than not there is only one instance of Alibre running in task manager

simonb65

Alibre Super User
I'm not saying Alibre is perfect (would be a really good day for that to happen ;)), but here are just a few 'other' things that may cause similar symptoms ...

Are you sure the read-only isn't just being caused by a 'on access' or 'on modify' event kicking off a file virus scan (either 3rd party or windows defender?) or if its on a NAS, live file replication (i.e. RAID 0) mirroring or write caching on slow drives.

I get this behaviour on other programs that I store files on my NAS or on the C:\ drive. Files stored on my d:\ drive never seem to have issues.

Sometimes if you have the 'Preview Pane' enabled on windows explorer, that 'locks' files as it displays/refreshes it's previews.

JST

Alibre Super User
no crash, no visible instance running, and a computer reboot did not change anything.... it was still read-only.

after "aging" overnight, it worked.

That does not seem like a ghost running, it seems more like a date/time related issue, although I have no idea how or why.