What's new

Options settings slow to populate

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
I've been finding the options display slow to populate for a long time now - not really sure if it commenced with a particular build of GD. The dialogue displays as shown for about 5 or 6 seconds before the blank spaces are filled.

It isn't a big problem, just an annoyance from time to time. Video driver is up to date (card is NVidia GT610 with 2GB memory).

I see same symptoms on my laptop computer (AMD integrated graphics) - but the delay isn't as long.

Do others see this behaviour? Does anyone have any suggestions to eliminate or reduce the delay?

Attachments

• Options display.jpg
    Options display.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 12

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Never had this with GD...

but I have seen something similar with other software and it was always RAM related. Something I had installed or some running process was the cause. Currently I have this with thumbnails. Showing thumbnails starts a dllhost.exe process that sucks up all my RAM within minutes.

Do you recall when this started?

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Just remembered!!!

Recent Windows 10 updates mucked about with the dotnet version. It is possible that this latest update is incompatible with GD. Only if you're running Windows 10 though...

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Seb,

RAM - I have 16GB main RAM in the desktop PC, only 8GB (shared with video) in the laptop - yet problem is less severe in the laptop. Other programs running or not doesn't seem to make any difference - I always see this behaviour, it does not vary. I'm not ruling it out, but doesn't seem like an obvious RAM issue.

Yes I am running Win10 (on both computers) - all other graphics for GD seem fine, odd that it should affect just this item. This isn't a recent problem, has been there for ages. It might actually be a little better since the 1511 major update for Win10.

RocketNut

Alibre Super User
I have noticed this slow down not only in the options display but all dialog boxes in both assembly and sketching drawing. It started the day I updated to windows 10. :evil: Some times it takes almost a full minute before I can use the dialog box.

HAPPY NEW YEAR every one.

Rocket Nut

idslk

Alibre Super User
Hello David,

latest GD and no slowdown on win8.1

HAPPY NEW YEAR every one

Stefan

Attachments

• fireworks.jpg
    fireworks.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 4

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I have Window 10 (latest update pushed out) and I've only noticed it on the Options dialog and only on the initial screen, it takes about a 2-count to fill in. The rest of the tabs pop up just fine. And I've not seen a slow render of any other dialogs.
I do occasionally see the graphics momentary freeze and the I get a system message stating that the Windows graphics driver has had an issue but has recovered. Not quite sure what that is all about but driver is up to date with the latest one from Intel. This happens whether I am running GD or some other program so I don't think it is GD related.