What's new

OT: BricsCAD vs. CADopia

CGN

All the flavors of Intellicad share the core but some are doing a good job "polishing" it I use Progesoft and I can say that it has it's bugs, I have keeping a track on Briscad and their version is really good, I haven't really tested for full a production because I exchange a lot of AutoCAD drawings and I realized that it was not good enough for me to move to intellicad (Yet...)., for example I use splines a lot and offsetting of splines was only available probably only a year ago on briscad and then for the rest of the intellicad flavor, one other detail is that in most of the versions the auto regen does not work, so when you drag an object (line arc, or circle..etc...) it leaves a trace of pixels on the screen, is not a big deal but IMO reflects that work has to be done to the software.

MilesH

Alibre Super User

I use splines a lot, too. BricsCad recently added the ability to 'trim' splines (not before time...) - not sure if this has filtered through to the core code, yet.

I agree that some of the graphics are still a bit rough.....

Miles

Gaspar

Alibre Super User

I didn't check it this last time, but when the software just came out (few months ago), I downloaded it and saw it mentioned on their page. I contacted them via email and they did confirm that it was intended for non-commercial use. They had a pay version for comercial use.

Again, I haven't gone through their page recently and the situation may be different now.

MilesH

Alibre Super User

I couldn't find any commercial restriction either. It refers to it as as a "fully featured *professional* CAD program" :)

Miles

jemmej

I remember seeing this somewhere on their site as well the free "non-commerical" use only. However, the legal contract is the EULA, so what it says is the key.

For professional use, I would recommend BricsCAD as their kernel appears to be the most stable, they fix bugs and performance issues between releases and their support seems pretty good.

I will continue to post here as I have any updated information. FYI, I have sent emails to info@cadopia.com and support@cadopia.com without a response. Now, it is possible that my e-mails are being filtered out as spam by a blacklist (we've run into this problem before on our subnet <grrr>) so that is always a possibility. I have sent a short e-mail to sales@cadopia.com and we will see if they respond. I will also send an e-mail via my home account to see if it goes through.

Jim