What's new

over constrained circles and lines

iwanttoslot

I don't understand why i cant make the three lines be tangentially constrained to the closest circles.
Where the heck have i over constrained this.
Pulling my hair out.

Even if i just draw two circles anywhere and try to constrain them in any way i get an over constrained error.

am going to reboot computer to see if that is what it needs

Attachments

• Base.AD_PKG
    28.5 KB · Views: 5

iwanttoslot

I had a locked constraint on the center of the two big circles. Alibre for some reason did not like that. I just didn't want them to move.

oldfox

Alibre Super User
Your drawing looks like the dimensions are the result of "auto dimension". No matter. I just deleted all of them. Then I dimensioned the
circles to the X and Y axes. NOTHING other than the *axes*. Dimensioning to another line, arc etc. *WILL NOT WORK*.

I also dimensioned the 4 arc/circle radii. Then I did the TANGENT constraints. They worked. Then I did an "extrude cut" just to *prove* the geometry.

The key to all of this is to dimension to the AXES and ONLY the axes, nothing else. After I figured this out I've never had any more
problems dimensioning lines to circles without the thing turning inside out or throwing up the "over constrained or inconsistent" error.

Play around with it and you will get the hang of it.

And remember: "Dimensions are constraints"

Attachments

• GOOD Base.AD_PRT
    288 KB · Views: 10