What's new

part library

jbeard

part library

Anyone having trouble with part library lately? I can't seem to downlaod any parts. :(

leeave96

I had a problem downloading an angle, but assumed that their server was down at that moment. Upon reading your post, I retried it and got a message that the part was unavailable for download. Hmmmmmm.

Bill

dmckee101

Alibre Super User

Just an update to the thread. I asked about this issue on Sept 16 and was told."We are currently on the works to bring you a better part library since the old server went down. This new part library is close to completion and should be available in the comming days." I was refered to the OhYeahCad site in the meantime.

SPiche

Hello all,

Has anyone heard the status of the Part library lately?
It is so much more convienient than using the Ohyeahcad site....

any info is appreciated

steve

leeave96

In as much as the part library is not working and hasn't been fixed for more than a day or two, any chance Alibre will extend our maintainence for a month as a good will gesture to smooth over this? :D

Bill

jbeard

Re:

SPiche said:
It is so much more convienient than using the Ohyeahcad site....

That is for sure! I didn't realize how much I actually used the part library until it wasn't available.

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User

The Thomas Register site has a pretty extensive parts library with files downloadable/importable in a variety of 2-D and 3-D formats, including various Step versions.

The models can be downloaded from the web or they will send you a DVD or CD-ROM set on request at no charge. It's not as seamless as the Alibre Parts Library, but does provide another option.

Mike

jemmej

Its now October 27th, and this problem has been on-going for almost two months now. What is the status of the parts library add-on.

As an aside, this is the type of P.R. snafu that Alibre tends to goof. Not the server going down, that is unavaoidable. I mean, that when they addressed the situation, decided upon a course of action and implemented an interim solution, the ENTIRE alibre user community should have been notified of this via e-mail. It seems only those that sent an inquiry to Alibre received a response. I am at a loss as to why this doesn't happen. This is just my opinion of course. But I'm really at a loss as to why a nice company like Alibre (with terrific technical support) does not have as much prompt communication about these types of issues.

Jim

mrehmus

They now have the 'new' parts library from what appears to be a European location. I've never heard of most of the suppliers.

Grabbing a part is a real PITA. It takes a while to get the part to the point where you can download it and then it comes is a zipped file that has to be saved and then picked up.

This is not the Parts Library I think I paid for.

OhYeahCad's parts library is quicker, simpler, and I recognize the supplier's names which means I can buy the parts in the U.S.

dmckee101

Alibre Super User

This is not what I was hoping to see as a parts library solution. Getting a part ready to put in an assembly is excessively cumbersome. While that may be alright for the more detailed parts it isn't suitable for standard fastener hardware.
Speaking of standard hardware...the offering is very limited both inches and millimeters. (Doesn't anyone use cross head screws besides me? :? )

Tazman3

Good solution, turned bad. All the other PSM's have built in libraries. Now I know this increased the cost, so the "downloaded" library is an ok idea, but poorly implemented. Why not just put these parts on the Alibre site so that it is easier to access....I'm very disappointed in this solution...it seems "cheap".

Taz

jemmej

I would say that it is a sufficient short-term solution. Rembember the e-mail mentioned that with SP 2 (in less than a month), this part library will move back to its normal menu spot.

As for the fasteners and such. We are generating are own library that is based upon our own internal p/n's, so I can't speak to your concerns about not recognizing the manufacturers. We source our parts and then design, not source our parts based upon a part library (again, thats just our way of business).

Jim

sae

Hello All,

Thanks for the feedback everybody has provided thus far concerning the new part library. We wanted to provide some clarification and additional information on some of the points that have been raised thus far.

1) We realize the current workflow to download a part is not ideal compared to the previous behavior. However, please keep in mind that this initial implementation represents the starting point. The web site interface itself will be continuously improved and the overall workflow related to the integration with Alibre Design will become more streamlined. For example, starting with Alibre Design 8.2 SP2 coming out in early November, you will be able to launch the part library site from the Add On menu option in Alibre Design.

2) We did consider providing a client-based part library solution as opposed to an online solution. However, we felt that the advantages of being able to continuously update, improve, and add new part content in real time to the site outweighed the advantages of a client-based solution. We may still consider providing both options in the future. Suppliers often add new product content to their catalogs or update existing products which become immediately available in the online library. New suppliers are also added on a monthly basis which will become immediately available as well.

3) The number of possible industry standard parts and configurations is almost limitless. Consequently, you may find that certain parts or types of parts you are looking for are not currently available. If and when this occurs, please send us details about the particular type of part you are unable to find, and we will submit a request to PARTsolutions to support it in the future. The same goes for supplier data. If the current supplier list does not include suppliers you frequently work with or would like to see, please send us the supplier info and we will request that PARTsolutions contact the vendor to begin the process of adding them to the library.

I would like to finish by emphasizing that we are always open to receiving your feedback and suggestions for improving the product(s) and services we provide to you. If you have additional specific comments or suggestions you would like to make concerning the new part library, please feel free to send me a pm. We would be happy to hear from you.

Best regards,
Scott

Samba

To Scott,

I find it a good solution
I love it !
finally whe have a library with european suppliers.
Keep up the good work !

Note that standardparts cant be changed normally ! :wink: