What's new

Phantom parts in an assembly (DropBox)

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User
I've been working on an assembly lately and been having problems with parts periodically disappearing from the assembly. I'm using configurations in some parts and all files (parts, assemblies, and drawings) is hosted on the DropBox.

Usually I just re-insert the missing parts, re-constrain and get on with life, but I noticed today (on the most recent occurrence) that the (two) missing parts are shown in the Design Explorer Tree. They are both the same type of part and are Configuration 2 of a 2-configuration part. Neither is visible in the assembly, even after an F5 regeneration, and all of the assembly constraints that appear to be associated with those two missing parts are invalid and show only one of the two items that were originally constrained, wit the missing item being the missing part. Neither of the missing parts or features are suppressed or hidden in the part file. Has anyone else seen this?

A bit later...

As so often happens to me, creating this message had me wondering if I had forgotten to "Generate to Last Feature" the part configuration during one of my frequent "Edit Here"s so I checked. All appeared OK, but I generated again just to be safe and the parts re-appeared in the assembly and all constraints are now valid.

Has anyone else seen similar behavior or can suggest what caused it?

Mike

Giecon.nl

My guess is it has something to do with the Dropbox software. I've had strange things happening with similar on-line sync software. Dropbox works great for single files but Cad assemblies with multiple files linked together, I would not trust it.

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User
I kind of wondered if DropBox might be the problem, though I' assumed that the files are kept on a local hard disk and sync-ed periodically to the DropBox cloud site. Des anybody know if that is the case?

I've also noticed that it can take several minutes for updates to a drawing, specifically the title block, to take effect when the DropBox is being used.

Mike