What's new

Plotters

marm37co

Plotters

Hi group.

I want quotes for a small plotter. My company is small and need a plotter good and cheap. Can you suggest marks and models?

Thanks for your collaboration.

Define "small". For some, small might mean 17 inches wide, for others, 36 wide. What's the largest size drawing you plan on printing? Do you need color? Do you need roll feed, or just sheet feed?

Personally, I go with the HP DesignJet series. While they're not cheap, they just work, and keep on working. There is little in the world more frustrating then a malfunctioning printer.

Plotter recommendations

Plotter today means wide format inkjet printers, as the old pen plotter has been replaced by the better and more reliable inkjet printer technology.

For good quality reliable plotters, I would have to concur and recommend the HP Designjet line of plotter. Consistently winning award for quality, reliability and value. Check out wide format printers on the HP site as a starting point for choosing a plotter. Compare features, width and prices to determine what you require, and what you can afford. Then compare your choice to other brands if you want to be thorough (EPSON plotters are much higher price for same features and widths).

Width is generally the determining factor, but HP has a top of the line 24" economical plotter, the DesignJet 130 being my favorite. There are other models in the 24" and 18" range, with one even at 13". For 13x19, I currently use the HP CP1700 printer which is a real gem.

Look for a plotter that has separate in cartridges for each color to minimize ink costs and eliminate throwing away partially full cartridges because one color ran out. Make sure the print heads are replaceable separate from from the ink cartridges (HP says the head need replacing about every 3 ink cartridges-and the plotter tells you when the ink cartridge or print head needs replacing (have some spares on hand)). You can even replace the ink cartridge in the middle of a plot, as the printer/plotter stops and tells you it needs to be replaced. I have looked with a magnifying glass and I can not find the pause point.

Most of all, with this expensive of a mechanical device, BUY THE MAINTENANCE CONTRACT!! I buy the contract at the end of the first year before the original maintenance runs out. This helps the cash flow as less money is required up front, as the next 2 years are paid at the end of the first year. After that, the contract generally is renewable every year as long as they support the device. Generally the cost of maintenance is a lot less than the cost of a single repair, and it is nice to be able to get every little problem fixed (even broken trays or parts).

Look on the internet as you can generally save a few hundred dollars off the retail price, but look for a reputable supplier with decent prices for ink and supplies - most of all costs of shipping. Compare total costs, purchase and shipping, maintenance, and supplies with shipping. And how long you have to wait if repairs are required.

For operation with multiple computers, the Ethernet connection option is nice as you just connect it to your LAN and can submit from any computer, rather than being tied to one computer. No need for a dedicated print server (or you can just create your own print server from that old PC laying about the office that is just too slow for Alibre).

If 24" will do it for you, the DesignJet 130 is my favorite. It comes in 2 flavors (plotting and fine art printing quality). With my wife doing prints of original artwork for artist, only the more expensive model will do. The DesignJet 130 is the 3rd generation (110, 120, and now 130) so this is a reliable product.

HP is worth the cost, and these are the plotters I have recommended for purchase to my clients (when consulting) after evaluating many brands and models. Check out the Cadalyst website for their plotter reviews and recommendations, and good luck.