What's new

Poll: Need some end-user-type input for my program.

When selecting a length for an SAE screw should the choices be in:

• Fractional (i.e. 1/4\", 3/8\", 1/2\", etc.)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Decimal (i.e. 0.250\", 0.375\", .500\", etc.)

• \"Quit whining, monkey-boy, and put in both...\"

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JordanCClark

Alibre Super User
Poll: Need some end-user-type input for my program.

Hi guys!

I've completed the screw select program in metric sizes for the following:
Socket Head Cap Screws
Flat Head Socket Screws
Button Heads
Shoulder Screws

I'm currently working up the selection tables for SAE, but would like some input-- after all, I'd like to do this for you as well as for me... :)

This will affect how much typing (possibly re-typing) I have to look forward to.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Jordan

swertel

Alibre Super User

I know some people prefer fractional sizes. And I also know that CAD companies that input data into their hole tools use fractions. But, I do believe that the latest revision of the ASME Y14.X and the ASME BX.X standards do state that threaded hole callouts should be in decimal, likewise for bolts, screws, and nuts.

warburton1

My personal choice is decimal, additionally the ASME B18.24, Part Identifying Number (PIN) code system standard for B18 fasteners, uses an enhanced three digit variation of decimal as its reference to length. The B18.24 std covers all mechanical hardware types and provides for an 18 digit number that uniquely identifies any fastener, regardless of length, thread, material, finish etc.

eg;-
AEB02C625A50WA9A21 - reads as an ASME B18.2.1 hex head bolt, coarse thread of Dia 5/8, Length 1.50in, SAE Gr5, Plain finish and with no extra details (eg drilled head)

I am in the process of converting my hardware models into models with configurations using the ASME B18.24 numbering convention.

swertel

Alibre Super User

Thanks for that info, Gary. I haven't read that information in B18.24 ever. What release is that?

MilesH

Alibre Super User

I don't know how you guys can bear it - fractions are bad enough, but decimal equivalents of fractional sizes.... yuk :p

JordanCClark

Alibre Super User

Hi guys,

After only a day, it looks like fierce competition. I didn't realize that the "monkey-boy" option would be so popular! :shock:

For those of you that have seen the previous versions, items are selected from drop-down boxes. I don't know how practical it would be to pick a B18.24 number without (at least for me, I'm an electrical guy, remember?) a score card. :?

Asusming the company can let go of a couple hundred dollars, I can then generate a PIN according to selections and let that be the filename.

Regards,

Jordan

swertel

Alibre Super User
Re:

MilesH said:
I don't know how you guys can bear it - fractions are bad enough, but decimal equivalents of fractional sizes.... yuk :p

At least it's not metric. Talk about a bass-ackwards method to define threads.

warburton1

The release I have is ASME B18.24-2004, superseding B18.24.1, B18.24.2 and B18.24.3. It was brought about at the behest of the US military to try and standardize the existing part numbering into something that could be easily identified by the purchasing people and their computers :?. I have to admit that the format is quite daunting at first, when you consider the vast quantity of standard hardware that the spec tries to cover.

JordanCClark

Alibre Super User
A winner is declared...

Apparently, I'm either really going to have to do both, or people just really enjoy calling me "monkey-boy"...

My feelings would probalbly be hurt, if I didn't already have this huge ego! :p

As un update, I have the data tables done for both Metric and SAE of:

Socket Head Cap Screws
Flat Head Socket Screws
Button Heads
Shoulder Screws

Now it's just some bell-whistle-flashing-light items to finish. I'll post again when it's ready to go (assuming I don't fat-finger the keyboard while naming it) :lol: