What's new

Poor computer performance (local or over network)

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Have you noticed generally sluggish performance from your Windows PC, or maybe when accessing files on a Windows server ??

I've recently had to deal with a friend's Win7 laptop which became painfully slow, and then accessing my own Windows server (server 2003) over the network became very sluggish. In both cases it seems the issue was that Windows update was not working correctly - the update process was taking up a large amount of background resource, but failed to install any updates.

Research on the web in both cases suggested that Windows update was broken by (you guessed) a Windows update!

For the Win7 laptop, downloading manually and installing a July 2016 roll up update got update working again. For my server, I manually downloaded a bundle of updates that kept failing - then ran these. Hey presto - update now working again. One of the articles I researched suggested the Server 2003 issues may also impact WinXP.

Both machines are now much more responsive. I'm posting this because the cause is not at all obvious - maybe this will help somebody else.

I have Geomagic installed on my home PC(which is windows 7) in case I have to work from home over the weekend or in the evenings on a rush job.
Turned home PC on last weekend and noticed it was taking forever to download updates - after 4 hours it was still on 0%. I just thought maybe the kids were stealing the internet as per usual!
I did notice the PC was quite sluggish but it doesn't get used that often so just put it down to that. Will look into manually updating.
Thanks for the heads up.

JST

Alibre Super User
I have had the system on "no updates" ever since the deal of "push-loading" win10 onto computers was going on.

Is it worth doing the update you linked?

Do other prior ones need to be done first? This machine has win 7 SP1.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
All I know is that the July rollup includes the fix for whatever an earlier update broke in Windows update. If you have updates turned off, then I don't suppose it can bog down your computer.

jfleming

Alibre Super User
I installed a "Never 10" utility on my Win 7 machine. Stopped all those annoying popups, yet still auto updates with the security stuff.

JST

Alibre Super User
jfleming said:
I installed a "Never 10" utility on my Win 7 machine. Stopped all those annoying popups, yet still auto updates with the security stuff.

When I tried to use that, it informed me that I had to do a windows update to use Never 10.

Seems like the utility to prevent problems wants you to HAVE a problem first...... :D

Dave H

JST said:
jfleming said:

When I tried to use that, it informed me that I had to do a windows update to use Never 10.

Seems like the utility to prevent problems wants you to HAVE a problem first...... :D

I also used it a little while ago. But, my system was up to date at the time. It worked great.