What's new

Possible to create collision-style constraints? **Solved**

Hello Everyone, I am working on a push/pull latch that operates with a track and pin. I am just wondering if it is possible to create some sort of constraint bounding-box type of affair that will keep the pin withing a pair of faces.

Screenshot 2022-01-05 160643.png

From the research I've done so far this is looking like a job for SimLab or similar software.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
You may have to expand the Constraint dialog to see the limits
Here's an example of my saw guard angle limit constraint:

CONSTRAINT LIMITS.png

I found it. It was hiding in Offset constraints, which now thinking about it makes perfect sense. Oh the joys of learning new software. (edit: it seems I won't be able to constrain the pin due to conflicting/intersecting constraint rules)

Screenshot 2022-01-05 191020.pngScreenshot 2022-01-05 160643.png(What a mess)

Thank you so much Harold! Its pretty awesome that you spend time helping others on this forum, thanks again.
In time I hope to contribute back to this community as well :)

Cheers

Last edited:

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
As you have probably noticed; complex path based limits aren't currently possible. I started making a script that would sit in the background and trigger actions by tracking the positions of small helper balls. Actions could be: toggle on/off specific constraints, change part colors, change configurations, ect.
But unfortunately I haven't finished it yet as I haven't thought up a good user interface for setting actions up yet. Right now a user would need to alter the code to fit their needs and most users wouldn't want to spend the time to learn to program just for that.