What's new

Problem making Drawing from an assemly boolean Part

ElsGray

Curious...When creating a drawing of an part created from an assembly boolean it crashes. But when making a drawing of the assembly before preforming the assembly boolean it works as expected. Has any others noticed this situation? Note, I am on latest version 25 Design, PC Windows 11, 40GB ram, 1TB SSD, core i7.
Attaced are the parts in question. Not critical, but wanted to hear if others noticed this. Not had problem doing this in prior versions....
Cheers All...

Attachments

• FRA-1JB Rev A Frame Side Archbar and Journal Box Bolts Assembly for Printed Truck - O Scale...AD_ASM
    320.5 KB · Views: 3
  • FSA-1P Rev A Frame Side Archbar for Printed Truck by Boolean O Scale 7-16-22.AD_PRT
    4.9 MB · Views: 3

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Can only check the resulting part as an assembly file doesn't include all the components - might be best to provide a Package file made from the assembly.

Making 2D drawing of the output part does indeed fail (software closes) - leaving no helpful errors in the log file.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Noticed there is definitely something odd about the geometry when I tried placing points half way along some edges to help define a new plane. Had to use a different way to define the plane to get the precise section view. See image - note that there are 3 very slim gaps in the structure. I know from experience that ACIS core does not cope well with such details. That MIGHT be what has triggered the problem.

Clipboard01.jpg

Suggest that you edit the assembly to avoid those gaps, then try again.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
If I use extrude cut to remove the central section of the output part - producing a drawing no longer results in crash.

cutaway.jpg

This does suggest those slivers could be the slim gaps that trigger the problem - though this isn't definitive.

ElsGray

Thanks for the quick replys. I did consider that it may be gaps. Going to make sure that does not happen going forward.
Basically I model up assemblies, then make as a part for further edits not available as an assembly. The resulting component/part is exported as STL, then converted to Formlabs preform for a 3L printer.
Attached is the frame assembly package file. I just messed up doing when sending early this morning, not quite awake then...HaHa
I also attached the latest frame. Still more work needed, but you get the idea.... Plus a image of my latest model train station kit. It is in HO for my client.
Bottom line, you got me back on the right road.

Enjoy....

Have a fun week, and Summer....

Attachments

• FRA-1JB Rev A Frame Side Archbar and Journal Box Bolts Assembly for Printed Truck - O Scale...AD_PKG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • TBA-2 Rev A Test Boolean Assemb Stub Boster to Side Frame Diamond Freight Truck O Scale 7-17-2...zip
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
  • Fig 16 Octagon Signal Tower Roof Install C-O Sewell Station HO 6-29-22.18.png
    Fig 16 Octagon Signal Tower Roof Install C-O Sewell Station HO 6-29-22.18.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 10
  • Fig 16 Octagon Signal Tower Roof Install C-O Sewell Station HO 6-29-22.17.png
    Fig 16 Octagon Signal Tower Roof Install C-O Sewell Station HO 6-29-22.17.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 9