What's new

Problems with first ABS

Mibe

Alibre Super User
After a lot of successful PLA-models we tried to print with ABS.

The result is really bad, the material won´t stick to the raft so the first few layers of ABS looks like a meltdown.

I have tried a few different extruder offsets with the same result...

What is the solution to get the ABS to stick? Heat the bead with a hair dryer?

/M

Attachments

• WP_000023.jpg
    WP_000023.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 101

jhardy1

What printer are you using? If it is anything like a RepRap, you NEED to print on a Heated Bed for ABS; PLA can also benefit from a Heated Bed (at a lower temperature!) but can be successfully printed onto an inheated bed.
Hope this helps!

Jonathan

Administrator
Staff member
Make sure the temperature is stable. I've seen this happen with printers setup in areas where there are drastic temperature fluctuations. The printers we use here are kept in an office where the temperature is consistent (fairly warm) - prints come out fine without any external heating sources.

Depending on the ambient temperature of the room, you may also try adjusting the temperature settings for which the ABS is extruded. If the temperature is too low, the ABS doesn't bond properly as it cools too quickly. If the temperature is too high, ABS will bond but the material will degrade and become brittle. Try also slowing down the speed - this will give the molten ABS more time to bond.

Mibe

Alibre Super User
Thanks, I will try different speeds etc. The room is consistant in temperature and I have not tampered with any specific settings in Axion. The temperature is also what is given from Axion - I believe it's 265 degrees Celsius.

After a lot of experimenation on this model we let it go from start to finish. The "complete" ABS-model was very crackled and bent, it was also quite easy to break off layers. As if every layer was not properly melted down in the previous one, just laid on top of it with with some sticky.

/ M

Mibe

Alibre Super User
Something is not working... I have tried different speeds, temperatures and other parameters. I´m also using PLA again, since it should be easier.

When the build program is created and run the default values is still in use! None of my edited values are used, why?

My 205 degrees is set back to 190 degrees etc.

The material is just moving around on the raft, nothing sticks...

This worked when we got the printer but now nothing is working, except creating the raft (!).

Jonathan

Administrator
Staff member
Send an email to support@alibre.com and we'll look further into it.

It's a bit odd the default values are still being used. Are you sure you are replacing the bfb file? I know that is an obvious question, but that does seem like the culprit. The gcode determines the temp settings so if you make changes in the build program then the changes should reflect during the print.

In regards to nothing sticking, make sure the Z height is set correctly. This needs to be adjusted occasionly and it is possible the position of the print bed changes when you remove models.

Check the bitsfrombytes.com forums too for help - I have found this is a great resource for answering many of our questions that came up when we first started printing.