What's new

Proper approach to updating Keyshot to preserve pre-established items?

JST

Alibre Super User
I have had trouble with Keyshot updating, but utterly losing all the things I had available before, material lists, materials, etc, so that the models went back to being the default, and the previously preset items were not available.

Is there a way to update such that everything is still present, and does not have to be re-established?

Installed 23, and need to update Keyshot also, but I do not want to lose everything as has happened before.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
New KeyShot versions get installed in their own directory. Materials are usually migrated from old to new as part of the installer process. I'm in the habit of exporting my custom materials before updating and importing them into the newer version. PITA, but not had any issues for the last 4 or 5 major KeyShot versions now. Would be nice if KeyShot just let you point to a custom material directory instead of it all having to be in it's own file structure (which it moves every release!)

jhiker

Alibre Super User
Does the Alibre version allow you to customise folders in 'Edit - preferences - folders' - that way you can keep a clean install of Keyshot and point it to your legacy resources.
Folders.png

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Does the Alibre version allow you to customise folders in 'Edit - preferences - folders'
OMG It does !!! ... Well that'll teach me to not look! Would have saved me a bunch of pain each release :rolleyes:

Although, not sure if you get the newer materials added in each release. Would have been nice to have a separate folder for custom vs builtin.

upload_2021-7-14_12-13-12.png