What's new

Property Data

idslk

Alibre Super User
Hello Mika,
The datum cells have to have the date format your system is using
Take a look into the alibre part data file properties
upload_2019-12-27_18-24-6.png
This is the format you have to use in the table.

I've taken a look and saw you've used empty cells...
In V01 i was to lazy to catch them...
Appended is a patch which is capable to handle empty cells.

Regards
Stefan

Attachments

• Write_file_property02.py
    2.2 KB · Views: 14

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Might I suggest this alteration of the last few lines.
Code:
PropName = ('COMMENT', 'COST_CENTER', 'CREATED_BY', 'CREATING_APPLICATION', 'CREATED_DATE', 'DOCUMENT_NUMBER', 'ENG_APPROVAL_DATE', 'ENG_APPROVED_BY', 'ESTIMATED_COST', 'KEYWORDS', 'LAST_AUTHOR', 'LAST_UPDATE_DATE', 'MATERIAL', 'MFG_APPROVED_BY', 'MFG_APPROVED_DATE', 'MODIFIED', 'PRODUCT', 'RECEIVED_FROM', 'REVISION', 'STOCK_SIZE', 'SUPPLIER', 'TITLE', 'VENDOR', 'WEBLINK')
ErrorCount = 0
for prop in range(len(extdesprop_enum)):
  try:
    ThisSession.DesignProperties.ExtendedDesignProperty(extdesprop_enum[prop],str(propertytemplatedata[prop]))
  except:
    ErrorCount += 1
    print('The ' + str(PropName[prop]) + ' property could not be saved. Check that it is formated correctly')
if ErrorCount:
  win.ErrorDialog( str(ErrorCount) + ' Errors have occured. Please check the Console for more info.\nSome Data had been written into your actual active file!','Error')
else:
  win.InfoDialog('Data had been written into your actual active file!','Info')

Hi Stefan -- JJust to be clear I historically merely typed in a "YYYYMMDD" integer into that "entry" without a problem. -- Lew

idslk

Alibre Super User
Hello Nate,
might be ok if you use extdesprop_enum instead of PropName because the enums are read automaticaly instead of typing...
Therefor the loop: for i in System.Enum.GetValues(ADExtendedDesignProperty): is used ;-)
The main reason that there is no additional error management and so on is: It is only a "quick techdemo"
But more or less the code is open and everything could be added if somebody wants to ;-)
Regards
Stefan

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Hello Nate,
might be ok if you use extdesprop_enum instead of PropName
Thanks. I see that now. I had assumed that was only the values and not the names.

Everyone: I believe Alibre uses the Windows Short Date format found (in Windows 7) by going to Control Panel > Region and Language > Formats

idslk

Alibre Super User
Hello colleagues, hello Lew ;-)
on special request here the V21 update for the write file property script.
Regards
Stefan

Attachments

• Write_file_property03_forum.py
    2.3 KB · Views: 21
on special request here the V21 update for the write file property script.
Hi Stefan -- Not that I have "tested" it yet, but thanks for the "update." As Nate has asked, "Any chance of adding Custom Properties?" [Irrational minds want to know!] -- Lew

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Lew,

It's pretty simple - first you have to set up Custom Properties on your PC. In this example you'll need
an Integer custom property called 'Cat' and a text custom property called 'Dog'. Obviously you can substitute any of your own existing properties.

I've also included setting a 'standard property' using the new capability in v21

Code:
MyPart=CurrentPart()
#set a part property
MyPart.Vendor = 'Plasto'
#set an integer custom property
MyPart.SetCustomProperty('Cat','555')
#set a text custom property
MyPart.SetCustomProperty('Dog', 'Yorkie')
output = MyPart.Vendor
print(output)
output = MyPart.GetCustomProperty('Cat')
print(output)
output = MyPart.GetCustomProperty('Dog')
print(output)

The code both sets, and then gets and prints 3 properties - you can also verify the setting in the part properties display.

NOTE all values are passed from script as strings, the type comparison must be done in AD. So to avoid errors you migth want to add some format checking if you produce a 'real life' application.

idslk

Alibre Super User
It's pretty simple

add custom properties:
upload_2020-5-9_19-4-44.png
done

take a look at:
upload_2020-5-9_19-5-20.png
looks ok.

let's run the script and look at the console:
upload_2020-5-9_19-6-9.png
hm?

control the properties:
upload_2020-5-9_19-6-40.png

Oh, what's this? the vendor property is written, but the custom properties not!!

Important Hint:
To get them written, the custom properties have to be filled with some values manually at creation.
Otherwise they won't take your scripted values!
upload_2020-5-9_19-9-28.png
next try
upload_2020-5-9_19-10-12.png
and check
upload_2020-5-9_19-11-32.png

Thats' ok...

have reported this behavior in the last days already...
waiting for an answer since then...

Regards
Stefan

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Ahhh, I manually created the custom properties but I had left them blank. It SHOULD be able to fill in a blank property - that's kind of the whole point in scripting it. Seems like a script should be able to create the property too.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
It filled property from scratch here. Though I did have the part open when I created them... maybe that is significant.

I did hit a strange behaviour with one property that I've also reported.

idslk

Alibre Super User
Hello David,

to show what i have done, i've made the step by step screenshots!
New part, new custom properties and of course the part was open during creation.
It only works if you have written a value to a custom property once!
After this you can delete the value and leave the custom property empty and the script can write values into,
but if you do not enter a value once manually the script isn't able to change the value!!!

Regards
Stefan

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Stefan, I was not doubting you - I just reported what I witnessed when coming up with that simple script for Lew.

I did not enter values manually for Cat or Dog - I did run the script a few times before I got it correct to work at all, and maybe that had an effect. My Python experience is almost non-existent, and I find it much harder than the programming languages I'm used to. Hence several attempts / edits before it worked.

Hi Stefan -- Back in the latr-1970's I was "reasonable good" at FORTH coder. Python is still throwing me into the weeds. I copied your code and will "play" with it after I finish a (currently overdue) Project. -- Lew

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
I've tried this again in a new file, I see same results now as you guys, values don't take for 'empty' properties. I've logged this with Development for investigation.