What's new

Quick how-to on modeling threads with a helical cut.

Ken226

Alibre Super User
The quick n dirty.

A little bit more thorough.

Neither will produce perfectly modeled textbook threads, as that would require a plane created perpendicular to the helix angle of the thread, and some geometry calculations to sketch the perfect profile on the angled plane. The additional time and effort would deter many from bothering.

For someone that wants to model threads with sufficient accuracy that were it produced as per the model, would still work fine. These are fairly quick.

albie0803

Alibre Super User
If you go to the Advanced tab on the Helical Cut window and change the profile orientation to Normal you will get a more correct thread. It actually turns the profile of the cut to the same angle as the helix. Try it and look at the end of the cut, you will see it is at 90° to the helix line.

Ken226

Alibre Super User
That needs to be in the tutorial. Great info!

I'll redo the tutorial, and include that info.

Thanks.

Clint

Hello, new to Alibre and was playing with the info from your video trying to draw a thread. Was just for fun so to speak so I made up all the dimensions. It seems to have partially worked but the threads stop short on the bolt. Is there a setting for the helix length? Screenshot (1).png

Ken226

Alibre Super User
Hello, new to Alibre and was playing with the info from your video trying to draw a thread. Was just for fun so to speak so I made up all the dimensions. It seems to have partially worked but the threads stop short on the bolt. Is there a setting for the helix length? View attachment 35102

The "height", controls how far along the shaft that the helix travels. Increase that number.

Ken226

Alibre Super User
Hello, new to Alibre and was playing with the info from your video trying to draw a thread. Was just for fun so to speak so I made up all the dimensions. It seems to have partially worked but the threads stop short on the bolt. Is there a setting for the helix length? View attachment 35102

Did you get it to work?

Btw: Typically mass produced bolts and screws are roll threaded and won't have or need the relief cut under the head.

The relief cut is, for the most part, only needed on threads that will be single point cut using a manual lathe.

Clint

Sorry for the delayed reply I was on vacation. I gave that information a try and it is working nicely now. Thank you very much.