What's new

Re: Interdesign constraints

scarr

Re: Interdesign constraints

Just had a user toggle me about 'interdesign' constraints showing up in an assembly - I've seen them too, and it appears they are constraints between assemblies or between an assembly/sub-assembly and a single part inside an assembly. They're not covered in the help topics - anyone have any in-depth knowledge regarding these?

MilesH

Alibre Super User

Hi Steve,

An 'interdesign' constraint is created when you reference another Parts geometry whilst creating a new Part from within an Assembly. Unless I'm likely to need them, I delete them straight away - they are a resource drain.

Or, am I missing the point of your post?

scarr

No, you got the point completely - I was thinking along the same lines but just wanted to see if anyone else out there had encountered these - thanks for the quick reply - I delete these too, as I don't really see the usefulness, and less is more when it comes to memory and resource management.

MilesH

Alibre Super User

They're certainly useful if you need to maintain associativity. For instance - if you choose the face of a Part to be the Sketch Plane to create a new Part then, if you subsequently edit the first Part and the face that you referenced off moves, the new Part will follow it.