What's new

Read it and weep - competitors :-)

jemmej

I just hope this is an upgrade to the existing sheetmetal package (not an add-on in Expert). That would NOT be a good idea.

Jim

swertel

Alibre Super User

Reads to me like a CAM add-on similar to SprutCAM or VisualMill, but specific to sheet metal.

And, since you need to buy Pro to get sheet metal, it will probably only be offered in Expert to entice Pro owners to upgrade to Expert.

jemmej

I woulnd't necessarily have a problem with that (as CAM modelling is a separate animal from CAD modelling) but, if this package has extra modelling features that don't get implemented in the Pro version, that's something else entirely.

Jim

MilesH

Alibre Super User

I don't have much use for sheet-metal, but it's good news for Alibre, which has to be good news for all of us.

I think my only worry would be that, if any particular sector of the userbase became disproportionally great, that this would drive the program in that direction.

Miles

swertel

Alibre Super User

Not really, Miles.

If the userbase gets disproportionate, sales decrease because the market reaches a saturation level. What ends up happening is that features in the other "segments" get developed in order to draw more customers from different industries. It's the "not putting your eggs in one basket" business plan.

jwknecht

Alibre Super User

This is good news. The sheet metal package with Alibre is pretty basic. I sure hope this is included as a replacement to the current sheet metal package (in Pro).