What's new

Recovery of user settings

kw856

Hey, just got a error while starting Alibre v27
w System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.__BinaryParser.Run()
w System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.ObjectReader.Deserialize(HeaderHandler handler, __BinaryParser serParser, Boolean fCheck, Boolean isCrossAppDomain, IMethodCallMessage methodCallMessage)
w System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.BinaryFormatter.Deserialize(Stream serializationStream, HeaderHandler handler, Boolean fCheck, Boolean isCrossAppDomain, IMethodCallMessage methodCallMessage)
w com.alibre.utils.FileHelper.readObjectFromFile(FileStream fileStream, Int64[] checksumOut, SurrogateSelector surrogate)
w com.alibre.utils.FileHelper.readObjectFromFile(FileInfo file, Int64[] checksumOut, SurrogateSelector surrogateSelector)
w com.alibre.client.ClientContext.readLocalUserProfile()

It made new user profile settings in %appdata%
I bet that profile_27.bak has my settings, is there anyway to recovery them?

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Yes - with Alibre closed, rename the existing User.NET.profile_27 file to somethign else (e.g. User.NET.27old ), then rename the User.NET.profile_27.bak by removing the .bak

Then re-launch Alibre.

BUT if there was a problem with the old file, then you'll have exactly the same issue again.

kw856

Yes - with Alibre closed, rename the existing User.NET.profile_27 file to somethign else (e.g. User.NET.27old ), then rename the User.NET.profile_27.bak by removing the .bak

Then re-launch Alibre.

BUT if there was a problem with the old file, then you'll have exactly the same issue again.
My first idea was just to rename the endings of profiles, but the error happens. So my bet its somewhat corrupted, as alibre reading the file gives error and creates new user profile
Anyway to hand edit it? It could be some random bitflip :/

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry - I don't know how to edit the file, nor how to locate corruption in it.

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
Hey, just got a error while starting Alibre v27

It made new user profile settings in %appdata%
I bet that profile_27.bak has my settings, is there anyway to recovery them?
Did you make any changes to your system or Alibre before the error occurred? Something could have been changed that triggered this error. If you revert that action your backup user settings might work.
1715624013033.png

kw856

Did you make any changes to your system or Alibre before the error occurred? Something could have been changed that triggered this error. If you revert that action your backup user settings might work.
It happend with
1. Alibre running a project -> save and exit
2. Turn off Alibre
3. 5 min break
3. Turn on Alibre -> This error msg

I just checked windows update, last update was 10.05.2024

kw856

Now i wish the UI for shortcuts or settings was easier to navigate. I guess its not worth our time. I will just spend some time getting everything back as i remember. Tho if you have more will power to dig solution or source of problem i m more then happy to help. I never seen this type of error and i m using alibre A LOT on 3 diffrent systems.

bolsover

So I did a few tests..
In the .zip you provided, the files User.NET.profile and User.NET.profile_24 are readable. All the other '_27' files are corrupt and unreadable.

You might try renaming User.NET.profile_24 to User.NET.profile_27 - it 'might' work and recover setting you had in version 24.

I am able to read the User.NET.profile_24 file. It contains many shortcuts..

The attached UserProfileDecoded.txt has all the information I was able to extract from the User.NET.profile_24 file. You will find several sections <SHORTCUTS> that hold information about your previously saved shortcuts - I have decoded so you can see the key combinations used.

David

Attachments

• UserProfileDecoded.txt
    99.9 KB · Views: 13

kw856

I was thinking maybe simple notepad++ could help me.
Rename from v24 to v27 works okey.
I can see some usefull stuff - Thanks. I m using quite a lot of macros eg: one click export DXF and STEP from 2D drawings. Company just got spacemouse to use with Alibre, so the settings from v24 arent the most accurate - still better then nothing.

Thank You guys! I guess you are way more helpfull then helpdesk person that i got from seller :p