What's new

Redefining the plane a sketch is attached to

cgriffin

I've not used Alibre much lately...just looking to see if new functionality has been added. In days of yore, we had to copy/paste the sketch, or make a plane just for your sketch and them move that plane. These all seemed like hacks to me. Sure, they worked, but they were always tedious.

Autodesk Inventor allows you to attach a sketch to a different plane (apparently for many, many years). Can we do that yet?

Thanks!

M00m137

+1 for this. Creo has the same functionality - very useful if (like me) you change your mind about the position of features on a regular basis. Especially if you foolishly put a sketch on the root xyz planes.

thpope

SolidWorks has this capability also. Everyone will have to redefine a sketch plane at some point. What a pain to find out it's not as easily done as competitors, especially since you're likely to discover when you need to do it.

Solidworks uses the parasolid kernel, AD the acis kernel. One of the reasons AD is more affordable is the acis kernel is less expensive. The capabilities are also different, meaning not everything possible in one is possible in the other, and these differences force a different thought process when modeling. I've already had the benefit of using modeling techniques learned in AD in the cad system I use at work which is NX.

Even between Solidwork and NX the top down modeling process is quite different even though they both use the parasolid kernel, and looking at equations among Solidworks, NX, and AD, all three handle this quite differently.

Having said all that, I'm not sure what the capabilities the acis kernel has for re-attaching sketches. The ability to re-attach a sketch is very handy, and saves time, when design intent or design understanding changes.

This would get my vote for an enhancement.