What's new

Release: Frame Builder V2_1

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Frame Builder V2.1 Release
Current Release Info Link
Please give it a try and then come back here and let me know what you think.

4_Piece_Miter.gif

upload_2021-6-7 a.png

[Old Post Below]
I'm working in my spare time on a frame builder for Alibre Design. To those who saw my earlier post - I had hoped to be done a while ago - so my apologies that it's taking so long. I've got parts of it done and am trying to sew it all together into a more streamlined tool. There are many limitations I've run into in Alibre Script and the Alibre API that require creative workarounds that take time. If you are interested in beta testing it and giving me feedback please send me a private message.

Last edited:

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Nate, I can see this will be very useful for some - not sure I'll have much use myself (but you never know...).

I can see you have AISC profiles, do you have, or would it be easy for others to adapt for profiles to other standards ?

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
I can see you have AISC profiles, do you have, or would it be easy for others to adapt for profiles to other standards ?
I've made it super easy to customize. Profile Templates for this are single extrusion Alibre Part files in user made Windows folder structure.
In the case of the image for testing I have sorted some AISC profiles (from @Lew_Merrick ) into folders.

Much more detail will be available in the help pdf.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Here is an example showing the major steps for creating a frame and their output. This is not the only way but a good one. Keep in mind that at this time the Frame Builder parts do not update to changes and will have to be manually fixed or re-created.

Frame Step1:
Create a ghost part in the assembly with the size and shape of the frame to build. - make the frame the way you want it first.

Frame Step2:
Create the parts 'By Edges' and use the edges of the ghost part. This automatically gets the length and constrains the frame parts to the ghost part.

Frame Step3:
Miter, Trim/Extend, or Cope frame parts together. For Miter and Cope the two parts must be coplanar (based on center of bounding box) but not parallel. It assumes the parts are located ( even if not constrained) where wanted and does not change their position. It extends or trims them to their actual or apparent intersection.

Note if the constraints fail simply edit the ghost part and "Regenerate All Features" or press Ctrl + Shift + F5 to force all parts in the assembly to "Regenerate All Features for All Parts".

Attachments

• Frame Step1.AD_PKG
    26.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Frame Step2.AD_PKG
    117.2 KB · Views: 15
  • Frame Step3.AD_PKG
    168.5 KB · Views: 13

idslk

Alibre Super User
Hello Nate,
is it possible to create a "table" out of the parts in this post?
Regards
Stefan

Attachments

• Ghost.AD_PRT
    258.5 KB · Views: 5
  • RHS_Profile.AD_PRT
    331.5 KB · Views: 6

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
:D Ok, I see the problem now. That is a sketch shape object. AFAIK AlibreScript doesn't have support for sketch shapes and a few other sketch objects yet. :(
I'll convert to lines and arcs and upload my table results.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
oct-table.png

This took a bit to get right. I had a hard time finding the right look for the legs because they stuck out at every angle.

leg offset.png

I made the legs with an X-Offset of 0.327" without an Alignment Face and then manually align constrained them to the angle of the miter cut. If there was no reason for each part to be unique then I could have done a circular array too.

EDIT: My assembly was in inches.

Attachments

• RHS_Profile.AD_PRT
    346.5 KB · Views: 6
  • oct-table.AD_PKG
    629.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

idslk

Alibre Super User
Hello Nate,
thank you for testing it. Looks interesting.
I can not open the assembly due to missing parts...
I've opened the part and saw you've added a second sketch to the profile, is that neccessary?
The octagon is made with the frame tool and the legs are done manually?
Regards
Stefan

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
I've opened the part and saw you've added a second sketch to the profile, is that neccessary?
I added the second sketch in case I wanted to use copes later. A cope is kinda like a Boolean subtract and I wanted to remove the center area. It's not strictly required.
The octagon is made with the frame tool and the legs are done manually?
The manual align could be done with the Frame Builder if there were faces to select those directions for orientation. The base ghost part could be adapted to make this frame much easier. I'll make an example.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Check this one out.
As I said earlier the amount of parts could be reduced and circular arrayed if unique parts were not necessary.

Attachments

• New_Cct-Table.AD_PKG
    757 KB · Views: 14

idslk

Alibre Super User
Hello Nate,
i see, you changed the ghost part. What's the reason for this?
Regards
Stefan

idslk

Alibre Super User
Hello Nate,
in your second post you have an cylindrical tube frame example.
The miters are looking like:
upload_2020-1-10_10-34-8.png
Am i correct?

If yes, is the following also possible with frame maker?
upload_2020-1-10_10-35-9.png

Regards
Stefan

Last edited:

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Hello Nate,
in your second post you have an cylindrical tube frame example.
The miters are looking like:
View attachment 29396
index.php

Am i correct?
That is correct. Follow 3 piece miter instructions.
If yes, is the following also possible with frame maker?
View attachment 29397
index.php

Regards
Stefan
Not currently possible. That would be the same problem and answer as a previous question - just different tube shapes. https://www.alibreforum.com/forum/index.php?threads/frame-builder.21412/#post-139023