What's new

Release: Frame Builder V2_1

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Possible yes, but I don't know the probability.

I will have another private beta test next week. If anyone wants to join in please let me know in a private message conversation on these forums or email me:
nateliquidgravity(at_symbol)gmail(dot)com

Mika

I hope there will be some Alibre peoples reading this thread and giving you the possibility to start to bring it as a native tool...you have done so big work with it already.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Mika, the Alibre API allows production of Add-ons which can be linked to a button on the Add-ons ribbon or even have their own ribbon tab. You can find a few examples in the API section of forum.

Script uses the API, but is meant to be simpler to use/get started for those not having as much development experience - so scripts will typically be a little clunkier to launch, but you'll get access to things that may never be created as a full add-on. Alternatively, script might give a way to test out an idea, before putting in all the effort to produce an add-on.

Mika

So, if I'm using some tool via add-on, I do not need to see those codelines...just as in a scripts? If there will be fluently working Frame Builder Add-On, I'm ready to pay some to get it...

EGWDS

Fantastic !!! Seems to work as intended,only tested on a simple design so far, but great work.
Coming from Inventor, the lack of any type of frame design tool in Alibre is a big issue in my line of work
(structural steel design). I hope this can can be incorporated into Alibre one day....

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Nate - any update on the Frame Generator? Was the beta successful, will there be an official release, is beta still ongoing?

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Hello David, I'm not going to publicly release yet but I'm willing to let anyone who wants a free trial of it give it a try. All they need to do is ask me. Private message me for instructions.

There are still some bugs yet but I believe the benefits vastly outweigh them. It certainly can make structures much faster than a person manually. 50+ parts created and constrained in a few minutes instead of hours. Miter cuts and extensions easily added.

Since doing beta I've been working on the background functions to get them ready for automatically updating parts. I understand this is high on the wishlist. It's still a ways off but certainly doable. Another area of the project I'm working on is creating (currently non-dimensioned) drawings for each part with the primary views. That will require more internal Alibre Design functions being added to the API.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Nate - thanks for the update. An Alibre reseller had been asked about such a feature. I'll suggest that they review your update and decide whether to take a look.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I assume you meant 22061?
Yup, that's what I meant.

Nate, this script is genius. You have to make a video tutorial on it though.

I had some success with the L profiles but am getting an error with the W profiles. I can dig into it some more but does this mean the error is in the profile parts?

FrameBuilderError.png