What's new

Remove Alibre on a Old PC to tranfer to another PC

Wing-Nut

I have Alibre installed on a Old Lap Top and want to transfer a license to a new lap top.

I see in my Alibre account that I can request other licenses but no way to transfer a license.

How is this done??

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Just request a new licence for the new machine (you are allowed to have it installed on up to 5 PCs at once but only use on one at a time).

When you are sure you won't need to use it on the old machine any more, request Alibre support to kill the old licence.

Wing-Nut

I am aware of the 5 Licenses (one of the main reasons I made the switch to Alibre) The reason for the switch is because the old Lap Top is going to be retired. I wish to do this before the Hard Drive goes and lose a License. 6 years old still works but now I have 5 PC's in the house 4 are Lap Tops. The new one on the way is a Dell Precision M4400. Great for CAD/CAM Productivity !!!!! :mrgreen:

indesign

Alibre Super User
Can never lose one. Simply log into your account on the web and request the one you wish to be removed.

Wing-Nut

indesign said:
Can never lose one. Simply log into your account on the web and request the one you wish to be removed.

Where is that option????

All I see is "To apply for an additional key, click here and follow the directions. "

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
You just file a request with support - there isn't a speciifc button or option on the web page.

Wing-Nut

Ok will do tomorrow during Alibre Business Hours. Another great benefit they are in Texas, 2 hours behind me, LOL. :mrgreen:

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Hi Wing,

It is very easy. :)
There are 3 options:

1 - ONLINE -> Install the Alibre V11 and after the installation -> Start Alibre V11 and insert username and password

2 - Download, install and start the "Site Key Generator"
With the new Site Key you can go to Request Additional License Key
Fill in ->
Machine ID: Wing-Nut-2
Site Key : ?????
SUBMIT
The new license will be displayed.

3 - Ask your Reseller for a new license.

donatled

Yep it's marvellous... The supplier imposes major limitations on the customer that actually DID pay them the money so as to limit the actions of those that will probably not have purchased the product either way.

Our guys did a major rebuild after a heap of gear failed in a rather spctactular fashion after severe flooding. All of this in the middle of a significant commercial project.... Only to find that we can't move the license from the hard drive of the dead box & onto the replacement CAD box. Instead we have to lose 2 man days waiting for the office types to turn up at Alibre in the US.

If the Company seeks to portray itself as a supplier of software to a professional marketplace then it needs to find a better way of dealing with this issue.

Bad enough that we have to contend with the sniggers from clients when we admit to not using Pro-E or Solidworks, or Catia or one of the rest of the list, but now we have to explain that we are off air in the middle of their project and can't do a dammed thing about it.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
You are only limited in this way if you have used up all of your allowed installs (so that an existing key has to be disabled).

If you have spare installs available on your account, you can install and licence another PC without any requirement for input from the guys at Alibre. All you need is user name & password and an internet connection.

If you don't have spare installs available - then presumably you have other machines with Alibre installed and available, or you haven't been very good about housekeeping (which is hardly Alibre's fault).

donatled

In 5 years we have successfully run it on 2 PC's, one retired, one now dead. Not like we have exactly been overly promiscuous with our license allocation.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
So you have at least one install left (Pro and Expert both allow 3 concurrent installs - though obviously only one actually running at a time)? So what is the problem - just install on the new machine and let it get a licence.

Besides, from v2011 there is a new licensing framework so any earlier keys 'don't count' any more (assuming you've updated to v2011).

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Do you perhaps have the PE version ? That is limited to one install at a time.

Have you checked your account info page to see how many keys are listed as having been issued?

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
OK - then you SHOULD be able to install and input Username/Password to get licence.

If something is interfering with that, the other option is to download the 'site key generator' (or retrieve site key from the 'Licence Status' box - from Help ->About Alibre Design) - then use the Site key to Manually apply for another key via the web site account info page. Copy and paste the new key from the web page into the licence key box.

You might have to experiment a bit with the exact detail - I've never had to use the manual method, the automatic method always worked fine for me.

One last thought - the licence key server changed for v2011, you aren't trying to install an earlier version are you? (that would fail, as updating to v2011 switches you licensing process over to the new server which is only for v2011).

If you still can't get a licence key, then there could be an error in the way you account is set up at Alibre - either Alibre themselves or your reseller should be able to check this for you and disable the key from the previous PC (freeing up one key).

donatled

Local disti arrived at work and got it sorted. Looks like a glitch in the licensing system as there was definitely only one license active which we killed and started from scratch. Now I'm off back to work ;-)

Thanks very much for the assistance

Cheers

Don

cramble

I too am trying to get rid of old computers before they crash. I have three licenses with Alibre 12.1 installed on my desktop, milling machine computer & laptop. Have emailed "sales" at Alibre twice now with no response.

Am I doing something wrong?

Is there something I am doing to cause them to ignore me?

Is there a more appropriate way to request this?

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Try 'support' rather than 'sales' - or if you purchased via a reseller, he/she can access the licensing database.