What's new

Remove areas for profile.

papajoe41

Hi,
This is the part that has been extruded. Wall is .250". Made of aluminum.Screenshot (70).png Screenshot (83).png
This is the face of the part that needs sections removed. The area to be removed are the top and bottom right areas, so that there is a semicircular area sticking out of the part. This area will be made into the detented semicircle of a previous project. How do I indicate that those are the areas to be removed? I have tried extruding; but, when I switch to extrude, I can only see a small semicircle on the face.
Thanks,
Papajoe41

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
You can do this a couple of ways. One is to complete the sketch to enclose the area you want to cut away. (if you need the videos to replay just click on them).
EnclosedSketchExtrude.gif

The other is to use the Thin Extrude cut, but be careful about the side the cut is set to. See what happens when I change side dimension from 1.000" to .250". This method can be useful but analyze the feature to see if it will work.
ThinExtrudeSketchCut.gif

And remember that if you pause the cursor on any of the ribbon icons there will be a pop up that describes the command and any sketch requirements, like this one for the Extrude Cut tool. I have highlighted the sketch requirements for this tool.
PopUpHelp.png

Last edited:

papajoe41

Harold,
I really appreciate watching the videos; but, they go by so fast. Could you ,please, also list what you are doing- such as sequence of commands used. It will make it easier to follow along and reproduce the results.
Papajoe41

papajoe41

Bigseb,
Tutorials? It used to be much simpler to learn a new program when they provided a manual. If you had a question, you could just look it up and even, take your time digesting, what it said. Tutorials are wonderful to look at; but, they just fleetingly cover the topic. Remember that the person making the Tutorial already knows how to do that. I still have not found the Tutorial that allows you to 'raise your hand' to ask a question. For me, there is only one thing that makes you proficient in accomplishing a task, repetition. In the case of needing more help with a new tough task, who do you turn to, the 'old timers. Isn't that what the forums are for?
Papajoe41

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
@papajoe41,
There is a size limit on the gif anims that can be attached here in the forum. I'm not sure what it is but on several occasions I've run into it and the file wasn't uploaded. I then had to go back and redo the anim to a shorter time length.

I can try to add some narration and see how that affects the file size but as you have seen I try to limit the length to less than one minute and in some cases to about 30-40 seconds.

As for a manual -- the Help manual has been reworked to some extent for v23, and although it still needs some dressing up in a few places it is likely better than it was in giving information about each command, tool and option. You can get to the online version from the Explore tab of the Home window.

Last edited:

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Bigseb,
Tutorials? It used to be much simpler to learn a new program when they provided a manual. If you had a question, you could just look it up and even, take your time digesting, what it said. Tutorials are wonderful to look at; but, they just fleetingly cover the topic. Remember that the person making the Tutorial already knows how to do that. I still have not found the Tutorial that allows you to 'raise your hand' to ask a question. For me, there is only one thing that makes you proficient in accomplishing a task, repetition. In the case of needing more help with a new tough task, who do you turn to, the 'old timers. Isn't that what the forums are for?
Papajoe41
https://help.alibre.com/articles/#!...-extrusions-cuts-and-thin-wall-cut-extrusions

Cator

Bigseb,
Papajoe41
Papajoe41
If it helps, I'm creating an additional step-by-step guide for beginners. Here is still a version to improve but I think it will be useful for you

Attachments

• Alibre Essential to Full Standard (2).pdf
    8.4 MB · Views: 29

papajoe41

That will be perfect for a person trying out Alibre for the first time or someone needing a quick review. Wonderful idea. Keep up the good work.
Papajoe41

Cator

Thanks papajoe41, your opinion has made me very happy and helps me to continue. I am a maker of musical instruments and musician and I know how difficult it is to learn new things from those who make things seem simple in reality very complex. I hope to give my contribution too ,Alibre is a fantastic program but rightly complex, and you never stop discovering its potential!
Greetings Francesco

Cator

PS On the advice of some experienced users I have made some corrections and graphical improvements. Look at this version and tell me what you think!!!

Attachments

• Alibre Essential to Full Standard.pdf
    8.6 MB · Views: 12