What's new

Replacing a part in an assembly

gld

When replacing a part in an assembly does the new part retain the old constraints or do new constraints have to be applied?.

gld

Still having trouble with constraints,as you can see in the screenshot. Tired to rotate the crank after replacing crankcase. And, yes the box (remove constraints) is unchecked.

I thought the part was automatically replaced in the assembly, after saving, as long as both are open. Am I wrong here.

Image2.jpg

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Gary, not sure what you men by 'as long as both are open'. Generally not a good idea to have separate instances open as there may be potential to lose changes.

When using Replace Component - maintaining constraints is done on a best efforts basis, it's only likely to work 100% if the replacing part was derived from the replaced part, and hasn't been changed much. If the internal ID numbers for faces/edges are inconsistent then constraints will need to be manually repaired or re-done.

gld

David

Both file open in separate windows.

Last night I found the answer to my question. I modified a part ,then opened the assembly . The new part was there. Duh, should of known that!

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Be careful if you have the assembly and part open separately - there will be 2 instances of the part loaded in memory. Depending upon how you close/save, it is possible to overwrite and lose changes.

'Edit Here' or 'Edit in separate window' should be used from the assembly, instead of opening a separate instance of the part.

gld

Be careful if you have the assembly and part open separately - there will be 2 instances of the part loaded in memory. Depending upon how you close/save, it is possible to overwrite and lose changes.

Thanks for the heads up on that.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Considering how often this point is raised on the forum and how potentially frustrating a concept to non-technical users, it's a pity that a file locking mechanism hasn't been implemented to prevent just this issue ... just like MS Office does with word, excel, visio, etc documents to make subsequent openings read-only. Would also be useful for multi users working on the same project. Maybe one that could be put on the 'need to consider' dev list.

schenman

It would be good if the default is not to "Remove Constraint" when replacing parts instead of the opposite. It is easy to forget to uncheck it. Or give a popup warning that constraints will be removed if we proceed without unchecking. Nice to have!