What's new

Repository -- Where are the actual Files located?

wathavy

Repository -- Where are the actual Files located?

Hi.

I saved some files into repository folders instead of standard windows ones,not knowing where the files are to be stored at all.
I assumed they are going to be stacked up somewhere in my own Application data folders, but it says only like this;

C:\\Documents and Settings\\MYUID.MYDOMAIN_NAME\\Local Settings\\Application Data\\Alibre Design\\MYACCOUNT_NAME\\Repositories\\{F632C67B-7E6A-4F43-AF72-'some unknow numbers'}"/>

Then I do not know where the actual files are.

Do you know How I could back them up without knowing where they are?
Or let me know how you are using 'Repository' with safe back up files, please.

Thank you for your attention.

Wathavy

swertel

Alibre Super User

The actual files are stored in the repository database. There exists only 1 file in the Windows file system which is the database file.

To backup the repository, take a snapshot of it.

Problem with this method is not in backing up, but rather restoring. You can only restore an entire snapshot (the entire database) and not a specific file within the database. If you did a lot of work on many files in the repository between snapshots, then you will lose all that other work in order to restore one file.

But, there is a way to restore the snapshot to another repository, then transfer the one file to the working repository, then delete the restored rep.

marm37co

Wathavy:

Your repositories, if you use WinXP, are saved for default in:

C:\\Documents and Settings\\USER\\Configuración local\\Datos de programa\\Alibre Design\\USER\\Repositories

(Change USER for your user name in your PC, Configuracion Local for Local Config and Datos de Programa to Program Info, I used Win XP in Spanish )

Now the list with all your repositories is saved in the file Local repositories.cfg (This file can be open in WordPAD or NotePAD) and in my PC this file is in:
C:\\Documents and Settings\\USER\\Datos de programa\\Alibre Design\\USER\\Local repositories.cfg

To each user you have a file Local repositories.cfg.

The Snapshot save this files in a ZIP structure. Si you change the extension ARB (of Alibre Repository Backup) for ZIP and open the file in WINZIP or WINRAR you can see all the files of each repository, including versions of each file and external files submit.

wathavy

Thank you

Hi.

Reading swartel and marm37co 's replies; I rekcon I got a faint idea on what I should have done; 'Reading help'.

Having done that, I noticed I could have backed my files up through repository system making copy of the folder... and other ways.

Now I seem to understand that 'Repository should have its own back up' as well.
I will check this up soon.

Thank you for your answers.

Wathavy.