What's new

Reproducable crash

MarcusWolschon

I have a reproducable crash with Alibre Design 2018 (build 19030) on Windows 10.

1. Create new assembly
  2. import a mesh (tried with serveral meshes, even the most simple ones "work"), place in center
  3. add new part for the assembly
  4. Open sketch on XY-plane with a cut through the mesh visible in the background
  5. select "rectangle" tool
  6. click anywhere in the sketch
The problem is that this is my very workflow for creating parts needed for molds.

MarcusWolschon

No, the meshes I usually work with are >200MB as binary STL.
(Reproducing this works with a trivial 400KB one made up of a few geometric primitives)
So workflow-wise even attempting that wouldn't make much sense but I'm currently trying it. (will take a while to compute).
I noticed that when I import the mesh into an empty assembly-part instead of the assembly itself,
I can not move it with the "precise placement" dialog.
at com.alibre.design.server.DesignSession.implementTransformMembers(Sequence members, Boolean moveToPoint, TransformXYZ transform, PointXYZ point, PointXYZ direction, Int32 flag, IReferenceFigureXYZ figure, AxisXYZ rotationAxis, Boolean updateMemberOnly, Boolean relativeTransform, Boolean useMinimumMove, Boolean firstTime, Boolean createNote, Boolean[] needsRegeneration)
at com.alibre.design.server.DesignSession.transformEntities(Sequence entities, Boolean moveToPoint, TransformXYZ transform, PointXYZ point, PointXYZ direction, Int32 flag, IReferenceFigureXYZ figure, AxisXYZ rotationAxis, Boolean updateMemberOnly, Boolean transformFromOrigin, Boolean useMinimumMove, Boolean firstTime, Boolean createNote, Boolean[] needsRegeneration, Boolean startStopChangeNoteNeeded)
at com.alibre.design.client.ComponentPlacementMediator.apply()
at com.alibre.design.app.ComponentPlacementPage.ComponentPlacementPageHelper.processOk(PlacedDialog dialog)
at com.alibre.ui.StandardBaseDialog.onClickForOk(Object source, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

I noticed that there is an update is available. With build 19033 it is still easily repdoducable.
I'm using build 19033 for the attemp to convert the mesh into a solid......

MarcusWolschon

I don't plan to edit the mesh. It's just a visual reference.
The mold-parts I design need to keep a minimum and maximum distance to it.

Conversion of a 5MB mesh to a solid worked through the night.
It does not crash but every mouse click, menu or dialog takes forever until anything happens at all.
So I can get the work done. I just need a coffee break after every mouse click.

Back to topic:
Is there any kind of log file where details of the crash could be found in order to pinpoint the cause and fix it?
Is a test-case needed or was it reproducable with the description?

Last edited:

MarcusWolschon

I know.
The moment basic mesh import is pulled,
I'll be stuck with an old version.
You can't get artists working with mesh based tools to use expensive CAD software that doesn't support the skulpting tools they need.

Alternative software either hasn't rediculus limits on the polygon count (Fusion360 is limited to 10K polygons for conversion to a solid and can't do any CAM with rotational axes on it.) or is completely out of the my budget (generally all software where you are supposed to arrange an antiquated phone-call to get a "quote").

Last edited:

MarcusWolschon

I just tried (it takes only a few seconds to reproduce it).
Alibre using 400MB of 64GB.
No swapping, nothing sluggish.

I also crashes with an STL that has previously been exported by Alibre from a solid geometry.
So it's not triggered by a mesh being non-euclidian or having swapped surface normals or holes.

It's a shame that there is no debug-log in Alibre.
That would simplify bug-hunting so much.

MarcusWolschon

Thanks. I didn't know about that one.
Sadly there is nothing of use in there.
The last entries are:

Code:
***** Time: 21.06.2018 05:53:17*****
Could not find RIBBON_GROUP_REGENERATE_ICON in size ExLarge
Could not find RIBBON_GROUP_REGENERATE_ICON in size Medium
Could not find FILE_NEW_ICON in size ExLarge
Could not find FILE_NEW_ICON in size Medium
Could not find MENU_FLYOUT_ROOT_PACKAGE_ICON in size ExLarge
Could not find MENU_FLYOUT_ROOT_PACKAGE_ICON in size Medium
System.InvalidCastException: Unable to cast object of type 'Elegant.Ui.ScreenTipData' to type 'Elegant.Ui.SplitButton'.
   at Elegant.Ui.QuickAccessToolbar. (Object , EventArgs )
   at Elegant.Ui.ScreenTipData.OnChanged()
   at com.alibre.ui.StandardRibbon.UpdateTooltips()

***** Time: 21.06.2018 05:53:25*****
Could not find RIBBON_GROUP_SKETCH_ICON in size ExLarge
Could not find RIBBON_GROUP_SKETCH_ICON in size Medium
Could not find RIBBON_GROUP_SELECT_ICON in size ExLarge
Could not find RIBBON_GROUP_SELECT_ICON in size Medium
Could not find RIBBON_GROUP_DIMENSION_ICON in size ExLarge
Could not find RIBBON_GROUP_DIMENSION_ICON in size Medium

Nothing in the DXUtils.log or iges.log or acisutils.log either.

I tried again with display scaling at 100% instead of 200% (17" laptop with UltraHD display and NVidia gtx 1080 mobile). Sale result.