What's new

Rescale Sketch in Sheet Metal

nw05405

Hi,
I'm working on a part that was sent to me in DXF. I've copied the drawing over in to sheet metal but when I copied it over it changed the scale by nearly 100x. Is there a way to rescale the sketch in the Sheet Metal window so the dimensions match the DXF file I imported in to Drawing?
Thanks!
Nelson

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
If you check by applying a dimension in the 2D drawing workspace, I suspect you'll find that it is the original import from DXF that has wrong scale. Try re-importing the DXF and use the units override to correct things.

Remember that 2D drawings are often scaled to fit on sheet.

nw05405

Thanks for the response David. The scale in the imported DXF file is correct. The only way I know to get a drawing in to Sheet Metal is to cut and paste it from Drawing. When I paste it in to Sheet Metal the scale gets messed up. Is there anyway to correct the scale once it's in Sheet Metal or is there a better way to get a DXF drawing in to Sheet Metal?
Thanks!

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
So if you add a dimension to the imported DXF in Alibre 2D workspace, it agrees with the imported dimensions / known size of the part?

Size should not change if you use COPY (from drawing workspace) and either PASTE or PASTE STAMP (into 2D sketch in SMP workspace). If size is changing, please either post the DXF file here, or submit a ticket to support. Which build of Alibre Design are you using?

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
But 9.025 what in AD_DRW? You have to tell the 2D DXF import what units the drawing is in.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Yes, the dimensions are correct in Alibre 2D following import. A dimension that was 9.025" in the DXF file was 9.025 in the Alibre 2D workspace. When I cut and pasted it in to SMP the dimension was 108.3". I'm on the latest version of Alibre Design Expert.
When I imported your dxf into AD the import setting dialog was set to FEET. If you divide 108.3 by 9.025 you get 12, which is what I suspect your part was scaled up by. Not a clue though why it changed from the drawing workspace to the sheet metal work space.
import settings.png
When I copied the sketch to sheet metal and used Paste Stamper it didn't change scale. But be aware that you will be doing a fair amount of clean up of the sketch. When I analyzed the sketch it listed 5 open loops and 1 intersection.

nw05405

When I imported your dxf into AD the import setting dialog was set to FEET. If you divide 108.3 by 9.025 you get 12, which is what I suspect your part was scaled up by. Not a clue though why it changed from the drawing workspace to the sheet metal work space.
View attachment 24348
When I copied the sketch to sheet metal and used Paste Stamper it didn't change scale. But be aware that you will be doing a fair amount of clean up of the sketch. When I analyzed the sketch it listed 5 open loops and 1 intersection.
Thanks Harold,
I couldn't figure out why it was correct in one and not the other either but using inches got me around the hurtle. You are right about all the clean up. File came from ACAD where he said he checked for gaps. Guess it lost something in translation.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
You have to tell Alibre on import what unit to treat the values from ACAD as representing. If you choose feet, the imported profile will be 12 times larger than if you choose inches for the import. There is no change of size when transferring from drawing to part (or SMP) workspace, but if units are different between workspaces, the numbers displayed will change.

Looks like the OP was reading the correct number in drawing workspace, but hadn't noticed the units were not appropriate ( ' vs '' ).