What's new

Return to Geomagic button

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Has anyone with Keyshot for 3DSystems installed seen and/or used this button in Keyshot? I just noticed it the other day but when I click on it there is not response. It only appears when I use Live Linking out of GMD.
I suppose it's one of those things that 3DSystems added for their version of Keyshot and is not supported in Pro. I will find that out after I post a Support ticket about it.

Attachments

• return to GMDbutton.png
    return to GMDbutton.png
    200 KB · Views: 17

RocketNut

Alibre Super User
I did not noticed it until you mentioned it. On my machine it returns me back to my model, Keyshot remains open.

I do not understand the attach message,

Attachments

• KeyShot.jpg
    KeyShot.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 315

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I figured it only applied to 3DSytems version of Keyshot.

The message is a hint for sharing files or opening them on a different computer. It means that if you are going to or want to open the Keyshot file on a different computer than the one that Linked it to KeyShot, you have to save a Package file that you can then open on the other computer. The package file will (should) save all the cameras, environment, materials, etc. Anyway, that's my read on it.

It's similar to saving an assembly out of GMD as a package to get all the parts and sub-assemblies pulled together in one file.

Kyle

HaroldL said:
Has anyone with Keyshot for 3DSystems installed seen and/or used this button in Keyshot? I just noticed it the other day but when I click on it there is not response. It only appears when I use Live Linking out of GMD.
I suppose it's one of those things that 3DSystems added for their version of Keyshot and is not supported in Pro. I will find that out after I post a Support ticket about it.

Please keep in mind that there is no difference in the KeyShot for 3D Systems and the KeyShot you obtain directly from Luxion except for licensing and branding. KeyShot for 3D Systems is using the same installer, but enables the usage of the CAD HD license for Geomagic products, and branding splash screen on launch.

Regarding the issue of the "Return to Geomagic Design" this is implemented by Luxion and not 3D Systems. There is inconsistent behavior in KeyShot 6 as far as this working, and it appears to also be intermittent depending on the version of Windows.

I have reported the issue to Luxion.

JST

Alibre Super User
Kyle said:
Please keep in mind that there is no difference in the KeyShot for 3D Systems and the KeyShot you obtain directly from Luxion except for licensing and branding. ...

The file type import seems to be limited vs full-on Keyshot, for one thing

Standard Keyshot claims the following: "KeyShot has the widest support for the direct import of over 20 native and neutral 3D file types." Keyshot for 3D Systems will import basically Keyshot formats, and the BIP import format, ONLY. This is not surprising, but it IS a difference.

There may be other differences as well, since the Keyshot manual info seems different from actual "KS for 3DS" in ways that are not ones specifically called out as "pro" features.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Kyle said:
. . . Regarding the issue of the "Return to Geomagic Design" this is implemented by Luxion and not 3D Systems. There is inconsistent behavior in KeyShot 6 as far as this working, and it appears to also be intermittent depending on the version of Windows.

I have reported the issue to Luxion.

Thanks Kyle, I'll check with Luxion. I've been told, though, that 3DSystems makes the addon for Keyshot and I thought the "Return" button was part of that since it only shows up when Live Linking.

JST

Alibre Super User
There are other parts of the connection between GMD and Keyshot that do not work right, so it is certainly not beyond belief that there could be a problem with the 3DS end of the connection.

I REALLY like using Keyshot with GMD, but it does seem to have been rushed into in a manner that has fouled up the interconnection in some important ways.

Another difference between Keyshot and keyshot for 3DS seems to be the "round edges" function. It is stated to be a feature of all versions, but I have been unable to find it in Keyshot for 3DS. I may need to post that as a separate question.

Kyle

JST said:
There are other parts of the connection between GMD and Keyshot that do not work right, so it is certainly not beyond belief that there could be a problem with the 3DS end of the connection.

I REALLY like using Keyshot with GMD, but it does seem to have been rushed into in a manner that has fouled up the interconnection in some important ways.

Another difference between Keyshot and keyshot for 3DS seems to be the "round edges" function. It is stated to be a feature of all versions, but I have been unable to find it in Keyshot for 3DS. I may need to post that as a separate question.

I believe you're probably referring to the materials linking from Design that you've referenced in some of your other posts. This would need to be implemented by Luxion for full functionality in their API.

I see that you might have found your answer regarding the "round edges" in your other post: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=18995

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Kyle said:
Please keep in mind that there is no difference in the KeyShot for 3D Systems and the KeyShot you obtain directly from Luxion except for licensing and branding.
Kyle said:
JST said:
The file type import seems to be limited vs full-on Keyshot, for one thing.

And turntable function is not there...

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I would have thought this would have been fixed by now but maybe there area other things more important. I am running Alibre 2017.1 and Keyshot Pro v7.1.51 and am still seeing the Geomagic Design name in the tool tip of the Return to Link Application.
return_to_Link_App.png

Over on the Keyshot forum I was told that fixing the "Return to link application" button was up to Alibre. That kind of makes sense because when I render out of SolidWorks at work there is no "Return to" button to click on. SolidWorks uses a Luxion developed plug in to link to Keyshot.

Last edited: