What's new

revlove boss problem

ddahlgren

revlove boss problem

I get this message when i try to revolve a boss and it is very helpful in it's wording

ACISERROR_SELF_INTERSECTING_WIRE: Wire is self-intersecting.

I have a closed figure that i want to revolve around the z axis to basically make a bowl shape.
The staus of the sketch I want to use says all is ok with it. I have tried various numbers of degrees to no avail as well. 360 is what i am looking for though.
Dave

marm37co

Wire is self-intersecting

Add a dimension between the revolution axis and the sketch. Too You can add a coincident constraint in the sketch if a sketch figure is on the axis.

Verify in the HINT DOF that the sketch have all dimensions that need (GDL=0).

In Sketch search the tool analyze and test the sketch.

Gaspar

Alibre Super User

I just ran over a similar problem with a sweep. I was modeling a cable coming out of a sensor using a 3d spline as a path.

I assumed that if my sweep figure (a circle, in my case) bends in small radius, it will end up intersecting itself. I played around with the spline giving it more ample radii and did away with the error.

In my case, this was not a big deal becuase the cable is only cosmetic, but you could try giving it a bigger radius (greater distance from the axis to the figure) only to see if this is the problem.

Gaspar

Alibre Super User
Re: Wire is self-intersecting

marm37co said:
Verify in the HINT DOF that the sketch have all dimensions that need (GDL=0).

Hey Miguel!

Nice to have another Spanish speaker around! Welcome aboard!

In his suggestion, Miguel spelled GDL=0, when he meant DOF=0 (yes, GDL is the Spanish for DOF).

This leads to something interesting. L = F because LIBRE is the Spanish for FREE (and probably Latin also). I was told that the name Alibre is referring to FREEDOM as you design.

Now that I think of it, if there is something I write that you guys can't make out, maybe I had the same problem as Miguel. Just tell me... :?

rbrian

Revolve Boss issues - Bowl

Hi, ddahlgren,

Hmmmm - I bet I know something - first - in sketch mode - do a sketch analysys. Make sure there are no Errors, or - fix them.

Next - Make sure - your sketch is not on both sites of the Z Axis - IE - just draw a 1/4 arc - starting at the Origin, and rotating up to the edge - then (An easy way) - is to just draw a vertical line up the axis - and across to the top of the arc - revolve that and shell it!

Third - scan quickly through my tutorials on the revolve in my posted tutorials! I am sure by the time you did those things - you will have it well under control! Robert