What's new

Rotate sub body

I want rotate a cylinder body within the coordinate system. Around an axis perpendicular to its length. I got as far as moving along a path... but the arc-sketch is not recognized as path. Though I'm not sure about the sweep functionality. It just talks about a surface.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
You'll really have to provide more details, and preferably the file(s). It is not at all clear what you are talking about.

Are you trying to model something for a part, or position a part in an assembly?

Not sure what 'arc sketch' has to do with this....

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like this is in part workspace - so no you can't rotate a feature after forming it. You have to create features with correct orientation - several ways that could be done.

Alternatively model the 2 bodies separately and combine with a Boolean operation, or as a sub-assembly.

idslk

Alibre Super User
Here a assembly example:

1683035068162.png

Regards
Stefan

Attachments

• bolt_bow.AD_ASM
    227.5 KB · Views: 2
Not being able to rotate a part ... makes Alibre fall to junk level. You have to construct the part in a floating coordinate system, Duplication and Array placement are not working. I'll try to get a floating coordinate system then..
Considering, that Catia has snap points... you just say align this axis with the other one and let the parts snap together.
Ok. I was able to construct it as wished, attached, and I also found a move (body) command missing.

Attachments

• AlibreRotate.png
    AlibreRotate.png
    199.3 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
You are making some very bold assertions without providing details. Not all 3D CAD systems are identical. Alibre is not Catia, don't expect it to work exactly the same.
You can rotate parts - perhaps you are talking about something rather different (maybe you've used 'multi-body parts' before, which Alibre does not offer)

Floating coordinate system?
Duplication not working?
Array Placement not working?

I'd suggest that you ask Alibre support or your local reseller for help on specific topics.

The primary function of this forum is to benefit from the experience of other users. Others will help if you ask clear well defined questions and provide files where appropriate.

'How can I do .... in Alibre?' is much more likely to get you help you than 'Alibre can't do....'

You told me up there, that I cannot rotate a part, such as the cylinder. I have to construct it this way. I thus made an axis shifted parallel to the x-axis. Then a tilted plane through it. Then construct the part on this plane. also shiftable, meaning the origin of the part parametric. Considering full rotateability, which was not required here, I'd have to come up with another plane, and another angle.. basically ending up with the Euler angles before starting with the component. Once I have such a rotatable component, I couldn't linear-array place it, unless I want their axis to be parallel. A circular array mirrors around the rotation axis, their axis won't necessarily be parallel depending on the rotation axis.
I didn't yet try to copy paste a component, if there was a copy paste at all. If their parameters were copied, they'd be the same, and not named differently.
No.. there is no copy-past for a components, such as a cylinder with a hole or such.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Please read CAREFULLY what I actually told you. You are accidentally or deliberately misunderstanding me.

You can rotate PARTS in an ASSEMBLY [EDIT or within a BOOLEAN]. The orientation of FEATURES within a PART is determined by the plane that you start on (though by applying good practices you can go back and edit the definition of the plane).

I suggest that you clearly set out your design goal or intent and ask for suggestions of how to achieve it. You'll usually get at least 2 or 3 valid alternatives offered.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Duplication - in ASSEMBLY workspace use the Insert Duplicate option.

Array placement - what isn't working? Are we looking at FEATURE pattern in PART or at PART pattern in ASSEMBLY ?

Ex Machina

You told me up there, that I cannot rotate a part, such as the cylinder. I have to construct it this way. I thus made an axis shifted parallel to the x-axis. Then a tilted plane through it. Then construct the part on this plane. also shiftable, meaning the origin of the part parametric. Considering full rotateability, which was not required here, I'd have to come up with another plane, and another angle.. basically ending up with the Euler angles before starting with the component. Once I have such a rotatable component, I couldn't linear-array place it, unless I want their axis to be parallel. A circular array mirrors around the rotation axis, their axis won't necessarily be parallel depending on the rotation axis.
I didn't yet try to copy paste a component, if there was a copy paste at all. If their parameters were copied, they'd be the same, and not named differently.
No.. there is no copy-past for a components, such as a cylinder with a hole or such.
I am pretty sure you are trying to make different components within a single part. Like in the style of Fusion 360. I also think that because you keep referring to it as a body. Multi-body design is a great tool but it should never be used instead of multi-part design, even in software that allow for it. That is why people say the #1 rule in Fusion is before you start drawing start a new component and save.

Instead of providing the file, could you tell us what the file extension is in the filename? The file extension is the part after the . in the filename.

P.S. You can rotate any part relative to the assembly coordinate system. You can even scale uniformly or non-uniformly. You can can drag move and rotate it or using absolute or relative coordinates. All of that is possible and more.

Last edited:
Thanks. I consider assemblies, as the name implies, something to be assembled from different parts, such as screws, washer, nuts, O-rings, and so on possibly made from different materials. And not an eventually single part as shown in post #7. I want a single part to be designed as a single part. Never mind, I found a way. with perhaps 5 intermediate steps, a component is moveable and rotateable. If it has to be like this, it has to.

dwc

Alibre Super User
Thanks. I consider assemblies, as the name implies, something to be assembled from different parts, such as screws, washer, nuts, O-rings, and so on possibly made from different materials. And not an eventually single part as shown in post #7. I want a single part to be designed as a single part. Never mind, I found a way. with perhaps 5 intermediate steps, a component is moveable and rotateable. If it has to be like this, it has to.
You have 2 bodies, one fix and one rotatable. That is an assembly of two parts no matter how you twist or turn the semantics.
And in the end, making a assembly will be the simpler and faster way to model it.
But to each his own.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
If you have Pro or Expert you could create a Boolean Unite. That way you still have a PART with the two components united but each with it's own part file and drawing.

1685828233008.png

Attachments

• flange.AD_PKG
    88.9 KB · Views: 1