What's new

Round holes become square holes

BNQ

Hi,
I’m converting a 3D model from Geomagic design to an STl file which I have 3D printed at Shapeways but round holes in geomagic show up as square holes in the STL file at Shapeways. How can I export to STL so the holes show up round? I’m guessing this has to do with settings when exporting to STL but all options are greyed out when the stl export dialog box comes up.
Brian

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Check any of the check boxes in the export dialogue to enable the relevant field, then experiment. Use an STL viewer to check the final quality.

BNQ

That's the problem, I can't select any of the options they are all greyed out.

Attachments

• STL Options.jpg
    STL Options.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 23

BNQ

Deleting that file opened up the Faceting Parameter. I changed it to .5 degrees which created a file that was 80 MB, Shapeways max is 64 MB. I changed it to 1 degree and the file was reduced to 46 MB. I uploaded it and now round holes look as they should, round. Thank you for the help. I let my Geomagic maintenance support lapse because I haven't been using it so its much appreciated.
Brian
P.S. I seem to recall having to delete this file in the past.

The link to Geomagic does not help me as I'm using Alibre Design Expert - besides it ask what Geomagic program I want to download ....

As I have exactly the same problem, I wonder about the file that should be deleted - filename .ext and if possible folder I should be looking for would be a great help.

Thank you very much in advance and best wishes.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
That link was probably to an article about how to delete the user profile. There is now a link that will do this for you on the Utilities tab on the Home Window.

Thank you for your reply - though I must admit that I'm not any wiser now.
Are you talking about the home window in Alibre - if so, I do not see any Utilities tab there.

I should probably mention that I run Alibre Design Expert version 2017.1.2 64-bit (Build 18701) and if I go to File, System Options, Interoperability, STL / ZPR, I get the same red stop signs as pictured in post #3 above, so it is not only when trying to export I see the problem.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
OK - basic stuff first. Have you checked the box next to one of the no entry signs, or the custom box in the normal deviation part of the dialogue? That is required to make the fields active for entry.

If you can't check those boxes because they are greyed out, try deleting your User.NET.profile this resides in folder (for win10) C:\Users\<userID>\AppData\Roaming\Alibre Design\<username>

where <userID> is your windows login name, and username is what Alibre knows you as internally (might be a slight variation on your name - should be obvious from the folder above).

AD should NOT be open when you delete the file. A new one will be created at next launch (you will have to re-set your UI preferences).

Thank you very much David - deleting the "User.NET.profile " file did the trick => the options are not greyed out anymore :)

Best wishes

Per