What's new

save-as issues

I have a project that includes a global parameter file, parts, a single assembly and a drawing. This is being used as a test for save as because it is not too complex but does include all the parts of a design.

A save-as on all required files has been performed more than once with similar errors. After the save-as AD is completely shut down and restarted, but when opening the drawing a message pops up saying GLP [Not Found], but not always on all or even the same set of files, but always some.

Strange thing is all files are present and accounted for where the save-as was performed, and when the global parameter file is modified all files in the assembly update correctly. but the drawing refuses to update. When doing an edit in place on any of the files it shows the global parameter file is available and used.

Does it matter the order the files are opened, or is there any other detail to attend to. At the risk of looking silly I've attached the package file from the drawing of the last attempt which shows the current errors.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

• 25.5x47.5_trim_top_assembly.AD_PKG
    199.7 KB · Views: 3
I thought the pkg file looked a little small but not sure how it really works since there doesn't appear to be any options. Since the drawing is where the trouble was that was where the pkg option was run from. Should it be run from the assembly and will that include the drawing?

I made a bad assumption, this package file was done from the top assembly.

Attachments

• 25.5x47.5_trim_top_assembly2.AD_PKG
    204.7 KB · Views: 2
That's what I get, however the [Not Found] doesn't always appear on the same files, and it is not missing. If it was truly missing it would say [Not Found} on all the files and not [Updated] on some, it is the same file.

This looks like a bug to me, will have to contact support.

jfleming

Alibre Super User
Are you doing the Save As and packaging from the model file of the top level assembly, or from the Drawing file of the top level assembly?

Hi jfliming, thank you for the question. The last package file attached was from the top level assembly. When I can I'm going to redo the save as being very careful about the condition of the files such as all being saved and from the top level assembly with no files being open in other windows, etc. It may be that being unaware of all the requirements I may have been a little sloppy, so human error must be eliminated first. Not at that computer right now so hopefully soon.

Just now only the top assembly was opened then started a save-as, which did not include the drawing but did include the global parameter file. Then the drawing was opened and a save-as started. This attempt included all files, so I'm going to assume it was done from the drawing, though I don't remember. So the save-as was redone to a completely new directory with a different name from the top assembly with the drawing and global parameter files open, and it showed all files included.

This time there were similar errors, and a new one. One of the parts shows it was connected to the global parameter file but wasn't updating. A replace was done on one of the files that showed the error in the message window and update on the rest that showed errors, then a regenerate done in the assembly but the filed did not update, neither would the drawing. All files were saved then AD was closed and restarted. Upon reopening the top assembly the model was updated, as did the drawing when the views were re-projected.

Very finnicky. The last package file is attached with same errors before they were fixed. The question now is why the errors?

Attachments

• 33.5x48_trim_top_assembly.AD_PKG
    210.2 KB · Views: 1

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
If I remember correctly a while ago I found out all items from views that needed to be reprojected were not being included in save-all-as.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Your latest package opens without any problems reported - it contain assembly and parts, not the drawing.

I'm finding you latest description very confusing.

If it is 'return_top' that isn't updating - that is because the sketch and feature in it are not linked to any Global parameters.

Morning DavidJ, thanks to you and the others for looking at the package file. The replies are confirming that the save-as is working correctly but something is happening when opening the assembly. I started out on V25 and upgraded to V26 and am wondering if a clean install of AD would help. At least the errors can be fixed, so the issue is not a show stopper.

Thanks again to all who replied, I'll post any answer I find.

Update on save-as.

One, every time a save-as was done on the original assembly there was the error with the global parameter file not being seen by some of the files in the new assembly, even though other files in the same assembly did find the parameter file.

Two, the new assembly can be corrected to see the parameter file and all works as intended.

Three, and this is the strange one, a save-as was done on one of the corrected new assemblies and no errors appeared when opening the latest assembly, everything worked as designed. This leads me to believe that there is something in the original assembly that is amiss, even though it functions correctly with drawing, bom, and parameter file with no error messages.

Thank you for all the replies, they helped me learn a great deal.