What's new

Saving a file speed

kineoptics

Saving a file speed

It takes about 5 to 10 seconds to save a small part or assembly. Is this normal? Any way to speed this up? Is it due to the repository? I have a Dell M70 Precision workstation, lots of ram but a 5200 HD.

base729

I have the Dell M60, and while version 8.2 helped with some of the graphic issues, speed on some functions is painfully slow. I have a large repository for one project, when I hit 'file' 'open', it takes FIVE minutes for the dialog box to launch. During that time, Alibre is shown to be 'not responding', but comes back working.

I am guessing that when saving to, or opening from a repository, Alibre checks the status of the entire repository. If you make a new repository, and have only one or two items in it... I'm guessing your save time will decrease.

kineoptics

Repository, Saving, Speed? What's up?

Does anyone else have these speed issues with the repository and saving or opening? Base729 and I are both on Dell Precision workstations. Can someone from Alibre comment on this?

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User

I'm using a Dell XPS Gen 2 PC and find that it can take quite a while just to open a repository. File save times seem pretty moderate by comparison.

Mike

swertel

Alibre Super User

Mike:

There was a long discussion on repository speed a while ago. The tip gathered from that thread - I wish I could sight the source to give him outstanding credit - was to create a repository with a name that will show at the beginning of the list, and then don't put any files in that repository. Apparently, AD scans the first repository on load and if the first one is empty, it loads pretty quick.

jwknecht

Alibre Super User
Re:

swertel said:
Mike:

There was a long discussion on repository speed a while ago. The tip gathered from that thread - I wish I could sight the source to give him outstanding credit - was to create a repository with a name that will show at the beginning of the list, and then don't put any files in that repository. Apparently, AD scans the first repository on load and if the first one is empty, it loads pretty quick.

Scott, That source, if my memory serves me, was Gaspar. It also seems to make sence to keep your repositories organized in a way to keep the total size of a single repository down.

In response to the original question, I don't have speed issues with saving or opening (with the exception of using a repository over the internet, ie an Alibre Repository). I have several set ups that I use Alibre on (no Dells... ).

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User

Scott,

I remember that tip (and not the source) on an empty first repository and have use it. That makes opening a repository window fast but doesn't seem to help with the speed of actually accessing most of the the other repositories.

jw,

I do have a couple of repositories with many folders so maybe it would be a good idea to break out some of the folders into their own repositories.

Mike

base729

I forget the exact reason, but I had a bunch of models lose association with drawings while moving them (in the repository). If you have parts and assemblies in different repositories, will they hold their association?