What's new

Screen Setup

jcdammeyer

Just downloaded Alibre25. Why is it that upgrades can't read in the existing configuration and set up the new system like the old one. Now I have to spend an unpaid hour to try and figure out how to put things back the way they were.
The other alternative is to figure out how to revert back to Alibre24 but likely the screen won't be set up right for that either. And of course files saved by Alibre 24 can be imported into 25 but there doesn't seem to be a save as Rev 24.

Here's a screen shot. I want this format back for Alibre25. I right click on the tool bar and I can check what I want and then these giant icons show up on the top. I tried dragging them to the right but that didn't work. Since I still have Alibre24 running on the main workstation (not at the same time of course as the laptop) is there a file I can copy over to the WIN-10 ALibre25 system that will convince it to behave the way I want.

Why is this always such a pain.

Alibre24Screen.jpg

Last edited:

Ken226

Alibre Super User
"is there a file I can copy over to the WIN-10 ALibre25 system that will convince it to behave the way I want."

In the future, before upgrading or reinstalling Alibre, this explains how to backup and save your profile. I believe it also backs up your screen/color scheme settings.

Try copying this file from the computer still running v24.

jcdammeyer

"is there a file I can copy over to the WIN-10 ALibre25 system that will convince it to behave the way I want."

In the future, before upgrading or reinstalling Alibre, this explains how to backup and save your profile. I believe it also backs up your screen/color scheme settings.

Try copying this file from the computer still running v24.

It's even easier than that and shows that it could be a choice in the install procedure.

C:\Users\john\AppData\Roaming\Alibre Design\jcdammeyer has the old User.NET.profile_24 for Rev 24 while the Rev 25 uses User.NET.profile. Rename the new one to be _25.bak for example and remove the _24 from the original. Or make a copy with the new name. And now the original is back in place.

Ken226

Alibre Super User
It's even easier than that and shows that it could be a choice in the install procedure.

C:\Users\john\AppData\Roaming\Alibre Design\jcdammeyer has the old User.NET.profile_24 for Rev 24 while the Rev 25 uses User.NET.profile. Rename the new one to be _25.bak for example and remove the _24 from the original. Or make a copy with the new name. And now the original is back in place.

Sound like you figured it out.

That's good info,

Thanks

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Just downloaded Alibre25. Why is it that upgrades can't read in the existing configuration and set up the new system like the old one. Now I have to spend an unpaid hour to try and figure out how to put things back the way they were.
I just changed the target directory of the install back to c:\Program Files\Alibre Design so that it overwrites any existing file (update) but retains the user specific files. I know it doesn't work well for side by side installs and file migration, but the installer does really need to ask the question ... Do you want to "upgrade the exiting install" or install "side-by-side". If it does the latter, then it needs to migrate the old stuff across too. Just like KeyShot does!

Max

Administrator
Staff member
We couldn't migrate toolbars for this version because the toolbar implementation fundamentally changed. Moving forward this should be much less frequent.

TomB

I've used Alibre since about V3 but I stopped using it for the last 10+ years. I want to use it again so I bought v25 and the maintenance plan for it. Installed the new stuff and found that for me v25 is not workable. I've been contacting Support every couple of days but it does not accomplish anything. My most recent contacts have focused on the User Interface. Like jcdammeyer said I want the interface he showed. Like him I put two toolbars on the right edge and ues then continually. Even after years of being away I still remember that these icons trigger flyouts and I know when they should become visible and what function they provide. After a couple of days with Support back and froths I was told yesterday that my problem has been turned over to QA and the best they can do to fix it will be in v26. Not a very satisfactory answer. Even less satisfying when I restore my access to the forum and the second thread I review shows a solution.

What I'm criticizing is the inclusion of flyout arrows everywhere. They make it hard to see the information and they cause a break in my thought rhythm when ever I try to access a function. I'm not sure how I will do the edits jcdammeyer calls for as I don't where the files he is editing reside. Is there anyone that can provide an explanation of the edits and how to access them.

I will add some comments to the thread about UI responsiveness that is not directly related to extra flyout arrows but has been happening while I tried to work round the look and feel of the UI.

jcdammeyer

I'm not sure what the flyout arrows are. I had more trouble with the file names/paths for the WIN-7 system which is still my main workstation. Too many software programs that are no longer available or supported by WIN-10 break on WIN-10 to upgrade that system. And Microsoft won't pay me the time to migrate everything. So for Alibre on the WIN-7 system I had to reconfigure everything all over again after the upgrade. Very annoying.

Anyway. Attached are the screens that show how I've configured my workspace. The default with the ribbon ON is off and the ribbon is in the trash can beside my desk. Where it will stay.

John

Attachments

• AlibreToolbarScreen.jpg
    AlibreToolbarScreen.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 22
  • AlibrePartScreen.jpg
    AlibrePartScreen.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 20
  • AlibreSystemOptionsDisplay.jpg
    AlibreSystemOptionsDisplay.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 20

Max

Administrator
Staff member
I've used Alibre since about V3 but I stopped using it for the last 10+ years. I want to use it again so I bought v25 and the maintenance plan for it. Installed the new stuff and found that for me v25 is not workable. I've been contacting Support every couple of days but it does not accomplish anything. My most recent contacts have focused on the User Interface. Like jcdammeyer said I want the interface he showed. Like him I put two toolbars on the right edge and ues then continually. Even after years of being away I still remember that these icons trigger flyouts and I know when they should become visible and what function they provide. After a couple of days with Support back and froths I was told yesterday that my problem has been turned over to QA and the best they can do to fix it will be in v26. Not a very satisfactory answer. Even less satisfying when I restore my access to the forum and the second thread I review shows a solution.

What I'm criticizing is the inclusion of flyout arrows everywhere. They make it hard to see the information and they cause a break in my thought rhythm when ever I try to access a function. I'm not sure how I will do the edits jcdammeyer calls for as I don't where the files he is editing reside. Is there anyone that can provide an explanation of the edits and how to access them.

I will add some comments to the thread about UI responsiveness that is not directly related to extra flyout arrows but has been happening while I tried to work round the look and feel of the UI.

Why don't you just create custom toolbars exactly as you like them with no flyouts? You will have to have more toolbars than the default ones, since they are obviously condensed via the flyouts, but you can certainly make any toolbar with the commands in whatever order you like. You could have a sketching figures toolbar, a 2D constraint toolbar, etc.

If the concern here is that the flyouts are below instead of to the right of the icons, I'm not positive whether we have control over that, but we can look into it.

Can you confirm this is the concern?

Thanks!

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Tom - as support advised the arrows are not new - they have always existed. With the new way toolbars are managed in v25 the arrows show below rather than to the right of the icon that the arrow is associated with (as per Max's post above). Given your screen size - the standard toolbar (which is now slightly longer) won't entirely fit on screen so gets truncated (with more flyouts) even with small icons selected. If you prefer toolbars, have you tried turning the Ribbon OFF (or minimising it) to increase available vertical screen space?

As Max mentioned you can use 2 (shorter) custom toolbars to replace the standard one.

As support also advised, we are looking into whether the icons with arrows can be arranged differently (initial answer was 'no', but being re-checked) - if that isn't possible a future planned move to vector based icons should give scope to re-do the icons.

Another option would be to use a display having higher pixel count (to increase available space).

Because the toolbar is managed by a different software component in v25, copying user profiles from v24 will NOT restore them. An upgrade maintains what can be maintained of the User profile.