What's new

Screw Selector-- The Return...

JordanCClark

Alibre Super User
Hi guys!

Been a long, long while since I've been able to get back to any of this. With the advent of WizoScript, things have gotten a lot easier from a coding perspective. And now, after a free afternoon, I submit to you the first draft of the new Screw Selector...

Right now only SHCS (Metric and SAE), FHSS(Metric and SAE), BHCS (Metric and SAE), and SHSS(Metric only) types are working. Entries are in place for dowels and nuts, and you can select them, but nothing will happen. Not even a message saying so. :wink:

Requires WizoScript to run. The Zip has two files:

Screw Selector.py : This is the script
screw_data.xml : file containing screw data from the Unbrako catalog. This needs to be put into the Wizoscript install directory (usually C:\Program Files (x86)\WizoScript\)

Over the next few days, I hope to get things back to the old v2 level, and clean up the GUI a bit.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• Screw Selector WZ.zip
    7.7 KB · Views: 28
Hi Jordan,

Whereas I am an extreme booster and fan of Andy Ayres' WizoScript, I wonder if you have looked at the UN SHCS library set I have posted over at GrabCAD? Not only does it have every SHCS size & length defined under the ASTM, NAS, and MIL standard set, it has a (user modifiable) availability index system and provides information that is often important to the design process (Design Tensile (Allowable) Load, Design Shear (Allowable) Load, and Maximum Installation Torque values) in a fairly convenient (LibreOffice Calc) spreadsheet index. It covers (inch-sizes only) #1 through #12 and 1/4 through 1-1/2 UNRC as well as #0 through #12 and 1/4 through 1-1/2 UNRF in alloy and stainless steel (with the material definitions pre-assigned).

Not only that, but there is also a reference plane constructed at the minimum fully threaded position on the shank as well as a (nominally suppressed) threaded area reduction revolve cut that allows you to (A) check for real assembly interferences and (B) perform functional FEA assembly analysis on the resulting joint.

Whereas I well and truly love the capabilities brought to the table by WizoScript, my argument is that libraries have their (important) place in our repertoire as well.

JordanCClark

Alibre Super User
That's a great tool to put in the arsenal, Lew. I like it! :D

My whole point on making this, however, was to provide the user with a quick component-on-demand system without having to look for a library (or they can create their own library). The majority of users I deal with are generally more concerned with making sure that the screw is of an appropriate length (generally making sure the screw isn't 'bottoming-out'-- the crudest form of interference checking :wink: ) or BOM than dealing with the full material properties. I'm not saying it's not important, just that needs differ.

And, one more time, we need a Geomagic-specific file and utility sharing area of our own!

It is like my various AISC rolled shapes library. It is not just the geometry, it is a selection & application process that needs to be taken into account. Yes, there are many "levels" of "need," but by sharing them we build a better toolset! How many iterations of (attempts at) organizing (say) socket wrench sets did you go through before finding the approach that actually works best for you? A Geomagic-specific sharing site would help all Geomagic users reach that best for you level faster!

Here is WizoScript code and a basis bolt for your edification and enjoyment....

Attachments

• EE-Screw Lib Dvt.zip
    62.9 KB · Views: 26

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
@JordanCClark You have been gone a while. Did you get more of this done? It looks like it could be very valuable tool. I know I wish I had seen it earlier for both the xml.etree.ElementTree and the System.Windows.Forms.