What's new

Script debate - (moved from v22 preview)

Mika

Is there any plans and/or ongoing development already about the Alibre Frame Generator?

I am not intrested about scripts.
Hi Mika -- As somebody who is, at best, a "kludge hacker" rather than a "real programmer" I understand your position. Hoever, as somebody influenced by Andy Ayres for several years now, I will argue that scripts can and do make a world of improvement (so long as you manage them carefully) for all. -- Lew

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Hi Mika -- As somebody who is, at best, a "kludge hacker" rather than a "real programmer" I understand your position. Hoever, as somebody influenced by Andy Ayres for several years now, I will argue that scripts can and do make a world of improvement (so long as you manage them carefully) for all. -- Lew
The future of AD can't be to use a script for everything. Let's see some development in the software.

idslk

Alibre Super User
The future of AD can't be to use a script for everything. Let's see some development in the software.
Hello Sebastian,

how do you define the difference between "software" and "script"?
If you take a look at the other cad packages, you see also a lot of "extensions" written through some kind of third party...
The possiblity to use an programming interface for alibre is a great improvement, you only have to get used to it...

Regards
Stefan

Hi Sebastian -- Whereas I agree that there is a world of "polishing" that Alibre requires, development through Libraries and Scripts help lead the way! Nigh unto the "top" of my list would be the ability to rename Files from within Alibre Design itself. In other words, I have (say) "20J010210 Gonkulator Rev B" and I need to update it whereupon it must become "20J010210 Gonkulator Rev C." I ought to be able to "rename it" within the context of a Project and have all "UsedOn Assemblies" within that Project update and use the "updated file" (after, I presume, a Save from within a Project's UsedOn Assembly. The "old version" still exists, but the "new version" applies throughout the Project. -- Lew

Mika

Scripts should be a hidden developer option as a default. All the other softwares also including add-ins/extensions of course, but then it is only the ready made app which one appears on your toolbar when you install it. No need to see any codelines and hit the head on the wall, just press the button and it works.

Last edited:

simonb65

Alibre Super User
how do you define the difference between "software" and "script"?
I personally welcome the script engine (although I don't use it, I use the external API or Add-on interface) the definition for me is that a script is used to automate complex operation that 'my' needs may require. But functions that the wider CAD community would find beneficial need to be part of the software. As an analogy, I expect the common, powerful and standard tools to be in my tool box (software), I may need to fabricate a 'jig' for my specific task and add that to my toolbox, that is a script. I don't want to pay for a toolbox (software) to do a job and then spend the time making my own tools/jigs first (writing scripts).

Don't get me wrong, the flexability is powerful, but scripts are just another tool and one tool does not make a toolbox!

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Hi Sebastian -- Whereas I agree that there is a world of "polishing" that Alibre requires, development through Libraries and Scripts help lead the way! Nigh unto the "top" of my list would be the ability to rename Files from within Alibre Design itself. In other words, I have (say) "20J010210 Gonkulator Rev B" and I need to update it whereupon it must become "20J010210 Gonkulator Rev C." I ought to be able to "rename it" within the context of a Project and have all "UsedOn Assemblies" within that Project update and use the "updated file" (after, I presume, a Save from within a Project's UsedOn Assembly. The "old version" still exists, but the "new version" applies throughout the Project. -- Lew
Lew, I'm not saying that scripts shouldn't be used, only that they shouldn't be the core functioning of the software. And that seems to be the war cry of the script users i.e just use a script.

No reason why we shouldn't have, say, a gear tool (much like the hole tool) where you get a lovely little window in which you can enter all your data. And that goes for all other suggestions too.

jfleming

Alibre Super User
I've seen the scripts mentioned many times and I made an attempt at trying to make one work once. It was just way too complicated. I felt like I needed a course in computer programming to be able to accomplish what I needed to do to just install/run it. Never was successful.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Lew, I'm not saying that scripts shouldn't be used, only that they shouldn't be the core functioning of the software. And that seems to be the war cry of the script users i.e just use a script.

First let me say that for OnShape (a different Parametric CAD) every single standard feature tool is built using their scripting engine.
https://cad.onshape.com/FsDoc/
The standard feature types in Onshape (like Extrude, Fillet, and Helix) are already written as FeatureScript functions by our developers. Custom feature types extend this same mechanism to all users of Onshape.

Secondly my theory is that although I would love if Alibre had many of these abilities "out of the box" - you can either wait for Alibre to implement them or use a script that makes Alibre better and saves you time right NOW. Doesn't that seem worth it?

Scripts should be a hidden developer option as a default. All the other softwares also including add-ins/extensions of course, but then it is only the ready made app which one appears on your toolbar when you install it. No need to see any codelines and hit the head on the wall, just press the button and it works.
I would really like the ability in Alibre to add my scripts functions to a toolbar - so I did that with a script!
index.php

I've seen the scripts mentioned many times and I made an attempt at trying to make one work once. It was just way too complicated. I felt like I needed a course in computer programming to be able to accomplish what I needed to do to just install/run it. Never was successful.

Some scripts need the user to edit them but many of mine do not. You load them and run them without ever needing to edit them. You can even save them as Protected Scripts (.pyp file extension) - which (when clicked in the library) will run without loading the code to see or edit.

For the record I would love to work with Alibre and get my scripts functions into the main program.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
you can either wait for Alibre to implement them or use a script that makes Alibre better and saves you time right NOW. Doesn't that seem worth it?
So why do we pay maintenance? Why isn't the UI framework just open source and let the user community write all the functionality? I could write a dockable windows framework with a menu structure and just include a scripting engine to make it do what you want it to do ... but scripts aren't for everyone.

Many people don't posses the skills to use it (after all it's a programming language in it's own right), people don't want to buy a package, then spend more time making it do what they want to do ... they want to create mechanical CAD parts and assemblies, not learn a new language and make their own tools. There are some, however that like programming who do, but I think most non-programming minded users would find another application before learning programming!

Scripting is an advanced 'power tool', not a 'basic everyday' one!

For the record I would love to work with Alibre and get my scripts functions into the main program.
We all have functionality that could be put into the main program, but we aren't the ones being paid to do that. We aren't employed by Alibre. We don't get included in the decision making process as to what gets included or not. If it was an open source project, I totally agree with you ... but sadly it's not!

bigseb

Alibre Super User
... my theory is that although I would love if Alibre had many of these abilities "out of the box" - you can either wait for Alibre to implement them or use a script that makes Alibre better and saves you time right NOW. Doesn't that seem worth it?
No. That's just complacency that'll lead to us never getting what we want.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
So why do we pay maintenance? Why isn't the UI framework just open source and let the user community write all the functionality? I could write a dockable windows framework with a menu structure and just include a scripting engine to make it do what you want it to do ... but scripts aren't for everyone.

Many people don't posses the skills to use it (after all it's a programming language in it's own right), people don't want to buy a package, then spend more time making it do what they want to do ... they want to create mechanical CAD parts and assemblies, not learn a new language and make their own tools. There are some, however that like programming who do, but I think most non-programming minded users would find another application before learning programming!

Scripting is an advanced 'power tool', not a 'basic everyday' one!
Hear hear.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
So why do we pay maintenance? Why isn't the UI framework just open source and let the user community write all the functionality?

Because Alibre adds functionality that scripts can not do.

No. That's just complacency that'll lead to us never getting what we want.

I'm not saying to stop campaigning for new features in Alibre. I'm saying people have projects that need to be done now - not whenever it gets added to another version by Alibre.

Scripts aren't for everyone - Fine by me. Electricity isn't for everyone either. They may not be what you want but they might work for someone else who reads the post.

idslk

Alibre Super User
that'll lead to us never getting what we want
Sebastian,
at most of the posts that describe enhancements is a personal wish the mother...(mothers can be a real good thing:D)
If you want to use "we" instead of "me", please start votings for enhancements to get shure that more than one person wants to get this...
If scriptng isn't your thing, well, you don't have to like or use it.
One thought from my side: Scripting (or AddOns) use the API, which is provided by Alibre as a part of the program itself...
So why should i be against extensions of the program...
Some of the scripts help me to get my work done quicker.
From where i get them, doesn't realy worry me (except the quality of the scripts).
I look at the scripts, like i do on standard parts or templates, i use them albeit they are often not from Alibre...:)

Regards
Stefan

GIOV

Alibre Super User
Some of the scripts help me to get my work done quicker.
Hi Stefan,
Thanks so much your examples scripts. You give a 2D&3D points that run in parts and ASSEMBLES too from a spreadsheet. It's great but I need the same script as" dynamic function", so if I change some Spreadsheet points, the Points in 2D&3D in part or Assembles changes automatically without "copy points" and hence all curves, sketches, Parts or Assembles position as variables dependents changes. That is real utility script. It will be a big enhancement script tool in my opinion.
It is feasible or not for AD?
https://www.alibreforum.com/forum/i...able_to_3dpoints_forum_v01.21898/#post-143574
Regards,
GIOV

Hi Jason -- What you (and most of the rest of us) need is (A) a detailed and well written manual and (B) a good set of training videos to lead us through this jungle! -- Lew

idslk

Alibre Super User
dynamic function
Hello GIOV,
thanks for the flowers...;)
a "automatic handshake" between Alibre and other Programms is not on my list...
I've done an update functionality in the CoG script were the point gets updateted when you run the script again. It is possible with this script too, i only made it quickly for the context of wazzu83...
I will look to take some time to extend the script, don't know exactly when...
Regards
Stefan