What's new

Script Release: Project Links V4

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Last edited:

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Seems to work OK. I did find filling in the information for link a bit tedious - couldn't see any simple cut/paste method to fill in the file path/name in one step (had to copy folder name from file properties, or file explorer address bar, then copy name from properties and manually add '/').

Creating as shortcut, then copying from properties of that worked, but required some editing. Again a a multi-step process.

I must be missing some simple method.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Copy directly in grid works, paste directly in grid was giving me trouble so I removed it last minute. I'm planning to fix it and add it back in. Until then - paste only works when editing.

Holding shift and Right clicking on a file in Windows Explorer will let you Copy as Path. it wraps the full file path in quotation marks. The quotes currently need to be removed. That will save you some time though.

I couldn't figure a simple way to pick links. I want to support links to directories, links to files, and URLs. I'll figure something better out. Either way - right now it's no more difficult than adding links to a spreadsheet.

idslk

Alibre Super User
Hello Nate,
I want to support links to directories, links to files,
for this the Get_File_Link.py works, give it a try...

Edit:
I've added a simple Sring input for the URL. With this you can do a copy and paste and you'll get a string to use in the list...
upload_2019-5-23_13-53-6.png

upload_2019-5-23_13-53-31.png

as long as there's nothing better...

Regards
Stefan

Attachments

• Get_File_Link_V02.py
    2.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Nate thanks for the 'copy as path' hint - often stuff hidden in Windows that you'd never find. That certainly reduces the effort. I guess making something very flexible, and quick to use is a challenge...

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Update Project_Links_V3. This version has icons commented out, so it should work on newer versions of Alibre Design.

Removed download.

Last edited:

Cator

Update Project_Links_V3. This version has icons commented out, so it should work on newer versions of Alibre Design.
1703525136221.png
Nate,
unfortunately the problem still occurs.
The version works with the old icons as I told you while with version 3 I get this message.
I hope you can solve it!
Regards,
Francesco

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
I'm away from keyboard and am doing this by editing the script on my phone and I didn't comment out enough. Give v4 a try.

Attachments

• Project_Links_V4.py
    24.4 KB · Views: 5

Cator

I'm away from keyboard and am doing this by editing the script on my phone and I didn't comment out enough. Give v4 a try.
Thanks Nate,
of course now the icons are missing but it works correctly.
Also, what's the point of 'Already Loaded' if it's always inactive?

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
I think it's leftover code from v1 when the button click loaded the data. I basically made the click event happen on load, disabled the button, and left the "Already Loaded" message there.

Cator

Hi Nate,
I have to report a new problem to you. When a file is dragged and dropped with a comma in it, this causes incorrect copying. Are there any solutions or should I just avoid commas in the names?

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
I know for certain that it stores the links with commas separating them. It used builtin functions and seemed like a safe choice for Links and URLs. If commas in them are necessary then I would need to dig deeper into the issue.