What's new

Script request. Direct entry for tracing image ?

shmbry

May Imake a script request ? Could someone create a direct coordinate entry for placement of tracing images. Once I've selected the image origin it would be nice to be able to specify the exact location, 0,0,0 for example.

Many thanks

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Not exactly what you are looking for - but a not too arduous method.

Place tracing image on chosen plane, don't worry about location. OK the image. Select 2D sketch on the same plane as you placed the image - zoom in to image 'origin' and hover cursor (note the coordinates from status bar at bottom right of window). Exit sketch mode.

Now Edit the tracing image - use the coordinates noted in previous step as the offset values (you'll need to switch sign to get movement in correct direction) -OK the edit. 'Origin of your tracing image is now directly origin of the plane it is placed on.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Place tracing image on chosen plane, don't worry about location. OK the image. Select 2D sketch on the same plane as you placed the image - zoom in to image 'origin' and hover cursor (note the coordinates from status bar at bottom right of window). Exit sketch mode.

Now Edit the tracing image - use the coordinates noted in previous step as the offset values (you'll need to switch sign to get movement in correct direction) -OK the edit. 'Origin of your tracing image is now directly origin of the plane it is placed on.
A couple of candidates for an enhancement to the trace image dialog would be:

a) To pick a point on the image then press a button to calculate and move the image so that point was at a specified X, Y. (i.e. Auto Move)
b) To pick 2 points on the image then press a button to calculate and rotate the image so that the points are now at a specified angle in relation to each other. (i,e, Auto Rotate)

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Another potential 'workaround' - trace the image without worrying about location, then use the Sketch Move tool to place your traced geometry at the desired location.

shmbry

Thinking way back to MDT, I used to sketch two lines on the image and use align. Now I've dragged that out of my memory cell I can sketch two lines in Alibre, Dim the angle and get the origin coordinates. On the whole I think the image capability in Alibre is superb, the image doesn't seem to impact performance at all and the resizing is really easy.