What's new

Scripts???

jfleming

Alibre Super User
My "New Posts" feed is filled with all this Script stuff. Please fill me on on what the hullabaloo is all about? This is foreign to me. Are there instructions somewhere to download? Does it involve knowledge of coding?

Thanks!

My "New Posts" feed is filled with all this Script stuff. Please fill me on on what the hullabaloo is all about? This is foreign to me. Are there instructions somewhere to download? Does it involve knowledge of coding?
The thing is that "Alibre Script" used to be "Wizo Script" which is based in/on the Python programming language. You have to learn at least a modicum of Python to use it -- abd we do need a more complete set of documentation and :How To" information before to long a time passes.

albie0803

Alibre Super User
Scripting is now built in to V18.1. It gives the ability to automate some actions. It's also good for making stock items, like bolts. I have a bolt script, when I need a bolt of a certain size, instead of searching for it, I just run the script, enter the bolt size and length and it is created for me in a few seconds. You probably have seen reference to a keyway script some of us are experimenting on. Scripting's abilities are slowly being expanded.

ajayre

Alibre Super User
we do need a more complete set of documentation and :How To" information

OK, but specifically what?

If you are looking for snippets that demonstrate specific aspects, and are not covered by the examples on the Alibre website, the tutorials on here or the examples included with Alibre Script, then please post a detailed list of suggestions in a new topic.

If you are looking for complete example scripts then please post a request in the thread that Max started using the post template he gave.

If you want generic python documentation there is a lot of information available on the web, including complete tutorials.

If you want documentation on the API then there is a reference manual available from the toolbar which lists every property and function available with a description. If this doesn't meet your needs for documenting the API then post specific examples on how you would like to see it improved. Note however that this is automatically generated from the source code so there may be technical limitations on what is possible. However I am willing to listen to any and all suggestions.

Andy

Andy -- I almost understand the (if you will) "gross basics" of Python. My main "problem" is trying to find things using the terminology I learned back in the 1970's (when I was studying "computer science). The analogy is that I learned Lofting back in the days of scribers and bamboo splines and none of that translates well to the modern technique that CAD Companies call Lofting.

ajayre

Alibre Super User
OK, you have a problem, but what specifically do you want to see for "documentation and how tos" for Alibre Script? I can't change the terminology used - it matches the terminology used in Alibre Design.

Andy

OK, you have a problem, but what specifically do you want to see for "documentation and how tos" for Alibre Script? I can't change the terminology used - it matches the terminology used in Alibre Design.
I suspect that (if you will) "broader" descriptions in the Manual would be a good first step coupled with a more detailed (and "broader" Index) would go a long way toward clarifying things. -- Lew

jfleming

Alibre Super User
OK, but specifically what?

If you are looking for snippets that demonstrate specific aspects, and are not covered by the examples on the Alibre website, the tutorials on here or the examples included with Alibre Script, then please post a detailed list of suggestions in a new topic.

If you are looking for complete example scripts then please post a request in the thread that Max started using the post template he gave.

If you want generic python documentation there is a lot of information available on the web, including complete tutorials.

If you want documentation on the API then there is a reference manual available from the toolbar which lists every property and function available with a description. If this doesn't meet your needs for documenting the API then post specific examples on how you would like to see it improved. Note however that this is automatically generated from the source code so there may be technical limitations on what is possible. However I am willing to listen to any and all suggestions.

Andy

Thanks Andy. Perhaps a "Sticky" thread with links to some good examples of all of these items you mention here would suffice. Not saying Alibre needs to write a manual, but providing some direction on where to go for GOOD and CORRECT information on where/how to begin would be useful. Maybe it exists and I've overlooked it. I'm sure some of this is posted before in threads, but if you are a total newb like myself, you don't even know what to begin to search for.

Thanks all for your responses.